From:
JULIE LUCE <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
JULIE LUCE <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 20:03:20 -0400

 Sorry it has taken me so long to summarize. I have to say thanks to everyone that responded as it gave me the wake up call I needed. It's not as hard as I was making it.

Thanks a million!
Julie

 "I recently made mashed potatoes for the superbowl and made them twice baked like - added Buttermilk, sourcream, shredded cheddar cheese, carmelized shallots, crispy bacon and a few spices (garlic salt, pepper, salt). I garnished with more cheese and scallion tops that cut up. It was a huge hit. Definitely not low fat though..."

"I find that I can eat many of my former recipes by substituting Progresso cream of mushroom soup or a gf pasta. I am enclosing a couple recipes:

Bushs’ Herb Garlic Beans and Vegetables

2 tablespoons olive oil 1 small onion, chopped
1 small celery stalk, chopped 1 small carrot, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 (16 oz.) can BUSH'S® Red Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
1 (16 oz.) can BUSH'S® Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 (15 Oz.) can BUSH'S® Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped canned whole tomatoes
1 teaspoon fresh thyme 2 teaspoons white wine
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat oil in medium saute pan. Add onions, celery and carrots.
2. Cook over medium heat until tender, adding garlic during last two minutes.
3. Add beans, tomatoes, thyme and wine. Salt and pepper to taste.
Note: Serve alongside grilled chicken breasts prepared with your favorite seasoning or marinade.

 BUSY-DAY Casserole

1 pound ground beef, browned and drained
1 box (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup chopped green pepper (I use less)
1 cup finely chopped onion
2 cups thinly sliced carrots
1 can (28 ounces) tomatoes with liquid, chopped
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon salt (I omit)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chili powder or to taste

Combine all ingredients except macaroni in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat and simmer gently, covered, for 30 minutes. Add hot macaroni. It prevents getting noodles mushy if you wait until the end. Add water if a thinner stew is desired. Yield: 6 servings. "

"How about a baked pasta dish? make a white sauce (use sweet rice flour or cornstarch instead of flour) with cheese or a red sauce (use regular spagetti sauce - like prego- or make your own), cook rice pasta (we like tinkyada), mix pasta and sauce together in baking dish, sprinkle cheese on top, cover with foil and bake til heated through or to your taste. You could add cut up chicken or ham, too, but not necessary.

have you joined the delphi celiac group - a gazillion recipes!!

http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/ "

"I don't know if you'd consider it simple, but I've made gluten-free lasagna
many times and it's just great. I get the Tinkyada lasagna noodles and they
taste just like regular noodles. Good luck!"

"Potatoes are easy - scalloped, mashed, potato salad
Sausage & peppers
Chicken wings"

"My suggestion is to bring something YOU will find satisfying, in case there are no other safe choices, AND to keep you dish covered until you are able to serve yourself first, because your gluten-free dish will very likely get cross-contaminated in no time as people put a scoop on your food on their plate next to the something with gluten, pick up crumbs on your serving utensil, and then return the utensil to your dish.

You could do some kind of cheesy/potato dish, a multi-layer taco dip (eg: spread refried beans on bottom, then cream cheese, then salsa, then shredded cheddar and bake until bubbly, served alongside gf corn chips), or a pot of gf chili or soup.

You might be able to trust someone else’s fresh fruit or raw veggies on the side if you serve them to yourself before they get cross-contaminated with other people’s crumbs."

"Crustless Quiche

potato soup thickened with potato starch or instant potatoes

make a baked ziti type cassarole with penne, spagetti sauce and mozz cheese.

a breakfast cassarole with grated potatoes on the bottom, some sausage or kielbasa for the second layer, cheese (cheedar is good) grated over that, then pour on 6 eggs scrambled with milk for a 10X10 pyrex dish or 12 eggs for a sheet cake size dish. Be sure to put some spices in the egg mixture to give it some umph.

A potato cassarole with chunks of potato (bite size - not peeled), red and green pepper, onion, garlic and spices to taste. Put Keilbasa chunks over the top and pour in 2 cups of milk mixed with a couple heaping tbsp. of cornstarch, salt and pepper. Bake cover with foil for 45 min.

Or the old standby, 3 or 4 cans of Bush Baked Beans doctored with a little ketsup, mustard, brown sugar and some finely chopped sauteed onion. Mix it all together and bake for nearly an hour. "

 "I would urge you to consider taking a meal for yourself plated (or in a separate container) just for you. The cross contamination factor at pot lucks and buffets is very high. People tend to use the same utensil in more than one dish and that is enough to cause a reaction - as will having the GF utensil touching any gluten containing food on their plate as they serve themselves. Taking your own food will ensure you won't be glutened.
You could consider taking a GF lasagna / salad / dish of your choice, but make sure you take out a portion for yourself first - and don't go back to that dish after it has been on the table.
Following the "rules" when newly diagnosed seems overwhelming, - it becomes much easier and "second nature" with time."

"My favorite is chicken l'orange. Take some chicken thighs (buy them in bulk from Costco) or other pieces. Open a can of frozen orange juice and pour that over the chicken. Add a bit of corn starch if you want, or ginger, and a bit of salt. Bake.

"here is a recipe I love...

Rice & Spinach Pie

for the crust
2 1/2 cups cooked rice
2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1/3 cup parmesan cheese

Mix all the above ingredients and press into a pie plate and up the
sides of the pie plate to form the crust.

For the topping
Cooked spinach - I use frozen, I just grab a handful (1 cup?) and cook
it in the microwave, squeeze out as much liquid as you can
3/4 cup ricotta cheese

Mix the cooked spinach and the ricotta cheese. Spread this mixture on
top of the rice crust.

Top with ~1/3-1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at
375. Then top with mozzarella cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.

I usually cut it into 8 slices but you could do 16 slices for a potluck - or
possibly double the recipe and put into a 13X9 baking pan. It cuts cleanly
if you let it cook awhile before cutting."

" Hamburger Goulash

Put 1 cup of raw rice on to cook for 25 minutes.
While that is cooking, brown 1 lb of hamburger (or less) in a big wok
or pot. Drain most of the fat, and add 1 coarsely chopped onion, and 1
drained and rinsed can of mushrooms (4 oz). Cook for a minute and
sprinkle with garlic powder. Add 1/2 T of Italian seasoning. Stir in a
15 oz can of tomato sauce. Cook until hot. Stir in the cooked rice.
Sprinkle with 1 cup or so of shredded cheddar. Stir."

 "This is a yellow rice dish easy to make even for kids!! You can heat it up or leave it with the mild salsa.

Mahatma yellow rice, (cook first)
1 medium jar of GF salsa
GF Black Beans
Cook rice then stir in the black beans and salsa and dig in tortilla chips or just on the spoon it is great."