From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 20:42:41 -0800

    I have had several people ask about one of the ingredients
for my Vienna and "Rye" breads, so I'll post the answer for
everyone.

    Tartex Biobin is listed as "johannesbrotkernmehl", which
translates to carob flour.  It is creamy white or very pale
tan in color, and is not toasted.  I doubt that regular carob
can be susbstituted for it, as the dark brown carob flour has
a pronounced taste, and I'm not sure of its binding properties.
I expect that xanthan gum or guar gum may be used in its place,
but I don't tolerate those binders well so I haven't tried them.

    As to sources, I tried to list sources for ingredients at
the bottom of my messages.  I left out the source for one
ingredient, the quinoa flakes.  Unfortunately I threw out the
box and transferred my flakes into another container so I can't
double-check on the source at the moment, but I believe the
brand is Quinoa Harvest, and it is available in some health
food stores.  This is an optional ingredient, but it agrees
with me and it complements the taste of the bread in the indicated
quantity.

    I hope that this helps, and I hope that some of you will
enjoy my recipes, or find versions of them which will work well
for you.

                    Best regards,

                    Kirsten Klinghammer

Kirsten Klinghammer    [log in to unmask]    Rescue, CA, USA