Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2010 08:27:29 EDT

Thank you all for the info on non-prescription sleep aids....I am  in the
process of looking into many of your ideas. Here is a summary. Again,  thank
you.

Melatonin, l-Theanine (get Suntheanine) and 5HTP are all used for sleep. I
have tried them all and have found Theanine works well. It does not make
one  groggy.

_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine)
_http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview_
(http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview)
_http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-Hydroxytryptophan)

These  can be combined.

Do not use Benadryl as it does not result in a normal  sleep cycle

There is controversy about using Melatonin with autoimmune  disease
_http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/melatonin/NS_patient-melatonin/DSECTION=safety_
(http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/melatonin/NS_patient-melatonin/DSECTION=safe
ty)

____________

1-3 mg of melatonin helps me, along with bioidentical progesterone and
estrogen.
___________

acupuncture always works for me as does  hypnosis.
http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/sleep-problems/sleep-child

DO  NOT take melatonin, despite what others might say. It is
contraindicated in  celiacs, or anyone with an autoimmune disease for that matter. I
discovered this  the hard way and then did my research.

you could also try a herbal mix  that contains valerian, hops and
passiflora (GNC makes one). That works  well.  They state GF status on their
packaging.

__________
Nytol!
___________

A doctor once told me that warmed milk activates L-tryptophan, an amino
acid, would help you sleep. Even Lactaid milk works. It does not need to be a
large amount either. Also, most people have some sleepiness experience when
 taking two over the counter medications like ibuproven for instance at
night.

____________

I use Deep Sleep from  Herbal Medicine.
I use Advil PM.   Works like a charm
Half cup  of warm milk before bed us ayurvedic sleep aid
______
Many  doctors and pharmacists recommend Benadryl - yes, the allergy
medication.  It makes you drowsy.
________
The  warming changes the milk chemically, and it really works. I use it at
work all  the time; frequently we'll have patients admitted to us late in
the evening, too  late to get their prescribed  sleep medications (or they
have none on  order). Without a doctor on site and with a pharmacy three hours
away, it's the  best non-prescription sleep aid I've found.
_______
This is a  bit off mark, but I had been having broken sleep for a while now
and put it  down to increased age.  I then noticed that I had a zinc
deficiency  (white spots on nails) and began supplementing zinc again.  Lo
and  behold, I am back to sleeping through the night and waking refreshed.
It  might be something worth looking into.

Other than that, you can buy  melatonin over the counter, but better still,
increase your intake of  serotonin creating foods, things like avocados,
bananas etc.
______________________

There are several homeopathic options that might be of help.  Coffea  is a
good one, esp. if your mind is WIDE awake.  It's made from coffee,  so
keynote symptoms are similar to drinking lots of  coffee.
www.abchomeopathy.com is a good place to start reading what remedy  might
match your symptoms. There are also homeopathic combos that are great  if
you're not sure what remedy would work best.  "Calm Forte" by Hylands  is a
good example.  We have used homeopathy almost exclusively for most  health
things & have for over 15 years.  It has been very effective  for me & my
family.

A cup of hot chamomile tea before bed has been  helpful for me as well.  I'm
sure there are other herbal teas that would  help too.  I'm not an expert in
that area.  :-)

One last  thought...are there any possible ways of you being glutened in
small amounts  by gluten cross-contamination?  Or new foods that are
"gluten
free"?  I've experienced insomnia when I've been glutened before  (even in
small, cross-contaminated ways), as well as not tolerating some  foods that
are gluten free, but new in my diet.  Just a thought...