From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:37:55 -0400

I got a few tips for Hilton Head but mostly requests to summarize. I
suspect that most any seafood or high-end restaurant can be done
relatively safely.

**There is Hudson's:

Hudson's Seafood House-Docks             1 Hudson Rd, Hilton Head
Isle, SC     (843) 681-2772

Hours: Open Daily 11am-2:30pm, 5pm-10pm

They were familiar w celiac disease - I had a fish that used potato
flakes to coat...it was very good.

Highly recommend it!

**From another celiac list:

"By asking the right questions, it's possible to get a fine GF meal in
many restaurants on HHI. My particular favorites are Red Fish,
Marley's, Frankie Bones, and It's Greek to Me. While I eat
neither fish nor shellfish (but my non-celiac husband certainly
does) I am always able to find satisfying meals at these four."

**HH is a difficult place to find what you're looking for in your
post.  We usually end up at Bonefish, taking special precautions to
make sure that they know what they're doing.  We actually LOVE going
to that particular Bonefish, which is in a small strip near Palmetto
Dunes and next door to a Fresh Market (useless for gf), and we end up
going there almost every time we eat out in HH.  Been going there to
the Island for years, and have never found a gf bakery or anything
catering to gf needs.  But haven't been back in a couple of years so
there may be improvements since then.  Looking forward to hearing
what you find out.  (Even the good restaurants have a hard time
delivering what you need to be gf, we have given up for the most
part.  But hopefully your experience may prove otherwise. Good luck!)

**We visit there yearly.  I have eaten at several local restaurants
successfully.  I would recommend the following:  Bonefish Grill and
Charlie's which are on 278.  Charlie's Crab and Red Fish and Crane's
Tavern.  I usually bake and take some Chebe sandwich buns to help
with lunches.  I also take along some gf bread sticks for myself when
the breadbasket is brought to the table.

**Bonefish grill, Outback and Carrabas are there. We have yet to find
any local places.

richard

*******
*******