From:
Leonard Handel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 08:23:14 EST

Hi All,

I have not yet had time to summarize, but the trend is that the puffed
products from Arrowhead have caused many problems.

As we know, the other company that had been producing the generic rice puffs
has shut down for a period of time.  They had been coating the products with
something that had become contaminated.  I believe that I read here that they
will reopen in February, 1999.

Yesterday, I spoke to Linda at Arrowhead and then to Pete Holcomb, their
General Manager.  They both sounded sincere and knowledgable of celiac disease
and its problems.  However, they have no dedicated equipment and do try to
avoid cross contamination, but they can't certify many products as Gluten
Free.  They did mention three products as GF, Sweetened Rice Flakes, Corn
Flakes and Maple Buckwheat.

Their puffs are indead produced by a subcontractor.  Mr Holcomb did promise to
send an inspector to the producer.

Obviously, the company wants to capture the Celiac market.  Unless they can
gurantee GF products, we will not accept good intentions without accompanying
safe food products.

Len Handel