From:
Susan Wagener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 18:37:09 EST

Dear Listmates,

Was very dismayed to discover today that the fish sauce at Big Bowl Restaurant
does have wheat in it. Hydrolyzed wheat protein is the last ingredient listed
on the fish sauce bottle. A very alert chef pointed it out to the server when
my order came in.

I have eaten the Thai Garlic Chicken at least 4 times, a Pad Thai dish and the
Thai Vietnamese soup all with no ill effects and I do consider myself a
sensitive celiac. The amount of wheat is small. Fish sauce is one of many
ingredients used in the thai sauce which goes in each dish. I ordered the thai
garlic chicken without the thai sauce today and it was still better than the
usual boring restaurant food but not as good it would have been with the thai
sauce in it.

I spoke with the general manager, Gary Newlin, at the Lincolnshire, Il Big
Bowl and he was very nice. In fact, he was the one who showed me the fish
sauce bottle. I asked if they could possibly use a wheat-free version of the
fish sauce. He explained that all fish sauces are not created equal and that
it had taken some time to find the high quality fish sauce they use. He did
say I could write a letter to him and he would send it through the system to
the Exec. Chef Matt McMillan (who originally told me the fish sauce was wheat-
free).

I think all the thai dishes at big bowl do use the fish sauce. However, I
think it is possible to order dishes without it like I did today. In spite of
the wrong info first time around on the fish sauce, I still have found this
restaurant to be very responsive to people with food allergies. They
understand the importance of paying attention to small amounts because they
cook with peanuts and peanut oil.

Many apologies for the wrong information on Big Bowl. If only eating in
restaurants was a bit easier!

Best Regards,
Susan Wagener