From:
Pauline Dane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 21:56:09 GMT

> From: Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
>
> On this side of the pond we do not allow wheat starch in the diet.
> Could you post to the list information as to which of the above has,
> or hasn't, wheat starch?

        The items I referred to are completely gluten free.  The
labelling laws over here aren't particularly strict and so it's
sometimes difficult to pick out from ingredients lists what is actually
wheat starch as they have a habit of using just 'starch' or 'modified
starch' without detailing the exact source :-(

> Also it is my understanding that the UK Coeliac Society only allows
> formally (biopsy?) diagnosed celiacs as members. Will they give out
> info to others?

        Although I'm no expert on The Coeliac Society I do know that
they will give information to pharmacists that request it if they join
the society so I see no reason to suppose that they won't give info to
visitors from abroad.  Diagnosed Coeliacs are given automatic
membership to the society, if they apply, and the newsletters and
annual foodlists produced are sent out free with a letter requesting
a donation to cover the expense.  The foodlist that the society produces
is a list of items that are gluten free and readily available in
supermarkets, it is pocket sized and well worth having.

Roger D (Antrim, N.Ireland)