From:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 18:39:26 -0500

I have received some further comments on McCanns Oatmeal.  They are shown below.

Comment #1:   I contacted McCanns in Ireland a couple of years ago and they told me
that because the possibility of cross contamination in transport cannot be
controlled AND because members of the staff have children with celiac they
could not in good conscience say it is safe for celiacs.  The cars
transporting it from the fields may have been used to transport other
grains as I remember...

Comment #2:  Thanks so much for all your information on McCann's Oats. I use them
occasionally and haver had any symptoms. I consider myself to be a very
sensitive Celiac.

Comment #3:  I use the McCann's. My technique is to rinse the raw oats thoroughly, then cook in my rice cooker. I don't know if that would remove *all* contaminants, but I hope it does. The McCann's website states that there is no flour in their mills, but they add that they don't guarantee there is no cross-contamination. I wouldn't use any other product unless I knew for a fact that it was produced in a mill where there is no flour/wheat.

Comment #4:  From the FAQ on McCanns website:
Gluten Free
Are McCann's Oat products gluten free?

All McCann's oat products are processed in a dedicated oatmeal mill that handles only oatmeal. In the supply chain between farm and mill, there is a possible cross contamination with other grains, such as wheat and barley but we reckon that the level of non-oat grains to be less than 0.05%. Cleaning equipment within the milling process would remove the vast majority of these grains along with other elements such as stones, straw etc.

But we cannot guarantee that McCann's oats are totally gluten free and we recommend that consumers use their own judgement as to whether they wish to use our oatmeal or not. Many celiacs can tolerate our oatmeal products without any adverse effect but they may not suit those who are particularly sensitive.

Comment #5:

McCann's web site says their oatmeal cannot be considered GF because of contamination by different crops, transportation, storage, etc: http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/faq.html

They run a dedicated "oats only" mill, but they purchase the oats from local farmers who also grow gluten crops, & they are aware of contamination from across the fields, storage silos, trucking & transportation, handling, etc.
Thanks for sharing!

Barbara in Missouri

Disclaimer --- I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.  Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.