From:
Sally Lopez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:07:59 -0400

Dear Listies:

On the topic of doctors -- another two cents!

I came from the generation where the cornerstone of the doctor-patient
relationship was total faith and trust.  It was disrespectful and
arrogant to attempt "second guessing." After decades of being the
"perfect patient," now I'm told I must become my own patient advocate.
It is hard to teach old dogs new tricks; it is hard to teach old
patients 1990's medicine!  The Hippocratic has been replaced by: "let
the patient beware!" We, as patient-consumers, lack the training to
determine what tests need or need not be done to corroborate a
diagnosis!  For this, we rely on doctors.

A previous post stated,"managed care companies keep statistics on
doctors, about who orders the fewest tests, or has the fewest days in
the hospital!  If you order too many
tests, the insurance company will not renew your (the
physician's)contract!"

I trust most physicians are *ethically*-motivated, not economically
motivated in their decisions on our behalf!

We are not looking to the physician to heal an incurable disease, but
rather to help us manage *HOW* we live with it!  A healthy dose of
support and caring may be just what the patient ordered!

Thanks, I feel better!  Sally (with supportive, caring doctors in
Virginia)