From:
ABIGAIL NEUMAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 20:02:00 -0600

Hi.  I spoke with Stacy from the Chocolate Emporium on 3/19.  They now
have in 100 lbs of bulk semi-sweet chocolate which is gluten free, soy
free, milk free, corn free, matzoh free.  By 3/20/98 or by 3/23/98 they
expect to have a webpage up for celiacs on their website
http://www.choclat.com/

They will list all food ingredients for these Kosher for Passover
chocolates and candies.  Please note:  They do sell a chocolate covered
matzoh, which is not gluten free.  It is made by a company called Krums.
Krums cleans the lines between runs of matzoh containing products and
non-mazoh containing products.  The cleaning is supervised by a Rabbi
to ensure that it is Kosher for Passover.  It is primarily children who are
allowed matzoh.  Strict observation of Passover for traditional Jews
involves restriction of matzoh and all grains. (If you are concerned about
the manufacturing process, Chocolate Emporium has two suppliers,
Krums 800-632-2639, and Empress 718-951-2251--which doesn't make
any matzoh items at all.)

Once the website is up, you may call and make orders.  Please mention
that you are celiac, and they will make sure that they use a fresh pair of
non-powdered clear plastic gloves (non-latex) when preparing your
order.  Remember that the passover specialty baskets and trays come
with chocolate covered maztoh.  Please tell them you would prefer a
subsitute for the maztoh if you wish to order a specialty basket or tray.
The boxed candies and chocolates do not come with the chocolate
covered matzoh.

You may also order items by weight.  They have a variety of chocolates
and candies which are all grain free, soy free, and milk free, such as thin
mints, almond crunch, raisin clusters, chocolate covered raisins, and mint
lentils (like swedish peps); and they also carry hard candies too, which
are celiac safe (free of grains, soy, and milk), along with the bulk
chocolate for eating or cooking.  (Again, I remind you that the bulk
chocolate does not look like candy bars; they are just large chunks of
chocolate which is sold by the pound--not pretty but very tasty I hear.)

Chocolate Emporium has even created labels for the packages that say
they are "Kosher for Passover for Celiacs"!  They are trying hard to
accommodate us.  Please thank them when you call.  Let them know
how much you appreciate all the steps they have gone through to meet
our needs.  I hope that they will get enough business from us to make it
reasonable for them to offering such items year round, or at least during
holiday seasons if their suppliers can make these year round.  (Wouldn't
it be wonderful to get them year round if it were possible?)

I have no financial interest in this company.  I just happen to miss
chocolate. (I am gluten free, soy free, milk free, corn free and looking
forward to my first bite!)

Abigail Neuman, St Paul, MN

If you wish to email me, please use: [log in to unmask]
Hotmail was down earlier, so I am using my work email address.  Please
do not reply to this work email address.
Homepage:  http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/4003/