From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:25:21 -0800

In my pre-GF days I used to make this incredible turkey divan with a tangy white sauce made of cream of chicken soup, milk, mayonnaise, dry mustard, lemon juice & parmesan cheese.  It was to die for.  But now that I'm GF and allergic to cow's milk, I've gone w/o this delight for 6 years.  The other day, I decided to try it using goat milk kefir.  I was very delighted to find out that it turned out yummy.  This is what I did:

I melted about 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium heat.  With a wire wisk, I blended in about 2 1/2 tablespoons of GF flour (half & half rice flour & corn starch).  I gradually blended in goat milk kefir until desired consistency was reached stirring constantly over medium heat.  (In all, I think it was about 1 1/2 cups kefir.)  After removing from heat, I stirred in a little mustard powder & salt to taste.  It made a delicious turkey divan.  I used the sauce recipe again a few days later to make a ham, black olive & noodle casserole.  It was also delicious.  For the topping, I sprinkled ground sesame rice crackers on top before baking.

This could be made using buttermilk or part plain yogurt & part fresh milk or water.   The key is to add liquids until desired consistency is reached then remove from heat.  (Over cooking may cause the yogurt or buttermilk to separate.)

Valerie in Tacoma