From:
Amy Ratner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Ratner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:49:14 -0500

Gluten-Free Living can set the record straight on the use of wheat in
the natural flavors in Dannon yogurt.

In a post to the list, Cathy Frank asked how Dannon could use wheat in
the ethanol used to flavor its yogurt without putting it on the label.
She wrote that such use would violate the Food Allergen and Consumer
Protection Act, or FALCPA, which requires the  labeling of wheat anytime
it is used in a food, including when wheat is used in flavors. And she
is right about the  law.

Dannon's official position is that its yogurt is  not "gluten safe"
because the natural flavors contain ethanol that is derived from a
source that could contain gluten.

In our Summer 2007 issue, we posed this same question to a spokesperson
from Dannon who researched it and assured us wheat is not used to make
the natural flavors. However, he could not be sure other gluten
containing grains, particularly barley, are not used. Barley is not
included in the allergens that have  to be listed under FALCPA.

Consequently, Dannon's official position is that it's yogurt is not
"gluten safe." The plain yogurt is an exception and is considered gluten
safe.

But there is more to this story because ethanol is always distilled.
Distillation removes the protein harmful to those who have celiac
disease.

We will email a copy of the full article on flavorings in yogurt to
anyone who requests a copy by contacting us at [log in to unmask]