From:
MRS JANET RINEHART <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Sep 1995 20:49:07 EDT

Dear Friends, I am responding to Walter & Susan Owens about Spina
Bifida babies and celiac disease. My first pregnancy was difficult,
compounded by high blood pressure, spotting in first trimester, flu
in first trimester. Twins were delivered prematurely; the boy had
hilane membrane disease and lived less than 24 hours.  The girl had a
meningocele, was only about 1 lb. 3 oz.,, but she was bright-eyed.
This was before anyone put the term spina bifida on these babies. She
lived for 3 months in a special care nursery in Boston -- wonderful
care. However, at the end the doctors refused to let us visit or see
the baby -- for our own "sakes."  That was crushing. A week later
Diana died from heart failure, a blessing but very difficult.  We had
"genetic counseling" to see if there was a reason for the multiple
birth defects, including a bone disorder too, heart failure, etc. No
reasons were forthcoming. My internest here in Houston later
hypothesized that perhaps some of the reason was that I got pregnant
right after coming off birth control pills, or the flu bug
complicated things. I was not diagnosed with celiac disease that had
reoccurred until about 10 years after my third pregnancy. We were
fortunate to have two beautiful daughters born 4 years apart 2 years
after the first fiasco. Now I wonder if the birth defects were also
complicated by undiagnosed celiac disease in terms of malabsorption
of iron.  I was taking iron and prenatal vitamins, however.  I just
don't know.  I know we were lucky to have two successful pregnancies
and healthy births.  The second pregnancy was terrifying because of
what we had experienced the first time around; the doctors monitored
me very closely in terms of blood pressure and helping me carry to
term. Such a relief afterwards! I hope this helps with another
viewpoint, Susan & Walter. Good luck.  Janet Rinehart, Houston