Date:
Sat, 25 Oct 1997 23:15:20 -0400

Hi Friends,

I had SO MANY responses to my pudding request it was WONDERFUL!!!  Many
people offered brand names that they know are gluten-free in their area.  I
will list those as well as a few recipes I received.  If someone is
searching for a particular choclate pudding I bet I have it.  If it isn'tone
that I list here e-mail me and I will send the entire pudding recipe file.
Thanks again to all the chocolate pudding people out there.  My children
have had a riot with the tastes tests.

Sincerely,
Chris in Ontario

Brand names in USA:
Kozy Shack Chocolate Pudding
NewMarket brand comes in a pint container
(like a milk container) and is gluten free, casein free
Bird's Dessert Mix (from England) available in USA
Manischewitz Instant Pudding and Pie filling

Brand Names in Canada:
Watkins distributor
Jell-o instant puddings
Oetker : chocolat mousse
Aylmer : chocolat
Delmonte : chocolat fudge
Jell-O : chocolat for microwaves
Jell-O: chocolat (instant puddings and instant pudding light)
Magic moments : chocolat, chocolat with haszlnuts
Nestle : chocolat and milk chocolat
Shirriff : chocolat

Kingsford's Cornstarch box:
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. Corn Starch
1/8 tsp. salt
2 3/4 c. milk
2 Tbsp. margarine
1 tsp. vanilla
In medium saucepan combine sugar, corn starch and salt. Gradually stir
in milk until smooth. Stirring constantly, bring to boil over medium
heat and boil 1 min. Remove from heat. Stir in margarine and vanilla.
Pour into serving bowls. Cover and refrigerate. Makes about 2 1/2 c.
*Chocolate pudding: Increase sugar to 2/3 c. and add 3 Tbsp. unsweetened
cocoa with the corn starch.

CHOCOLATE PUDDING
2 blocks (2 ounces) HERSHEY'S Unsweetened Baking Chocolate, finely
      chopped
1 cup light cream
2/3 cup sugar
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract, GF of course!
In medium micro-proof bowl combine baking chocolate pieces and cream.
Microwave on high (full power) 1 1/2 to 2 minutes of just until mixture
is smooth when stirred.  Microwave on high about 1 minute or until
mixture just begins to boil; stir in sugar.  With wire whisk gradually
stir in beaten egg yolks; stir in butter and vanilla, blending well.
Pour into six creme pots or demitasse cups; press plasic wrap directly
onto surface.  Chill several hours or until set.  Garnish as desired.

Vanilla pudding
3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch or 1/3 cup flour
3 cups milk
4 beaten egg yolks or 2 beaten eggs
1 tablespoon margarine or butter
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
in heavy medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch or flour. Stir in
milk. Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture is thickened and
bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradulaly
stir about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks or eggs.
Return all of the egg mixture to the saucepan. If using egg yolks, bring
to a gentle boil; if using whole eggs, cook till nearly bubbly, but do
not boil. Reduce heat. Cook and stir for two minutes more. remove from
heat. Stir in margarine and vanilla. pour into bowl. Cover surface with
clear plastic wrap. Chill. Do not stir. Makes 6 servings
*For chocolate pudding
prepare as above, except add 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder to sugar.
use 2 tablespoons cornstarch or 1/4 cup flour, 2 2/3 cups milk, and egg
yolks (not whole eggs)

Simple Pudding
2 c milk
3 T Honey, or 1/4 c brown sugar
3 T cornstarch
2 eggs
1 T vanilla for vanilla pudding/1 t for chocolate pudding
1/4 c chocolate powder dissolved in 3-4 T water
Heat 1 1/2 c milk and sweetener to simmer in a heavy saucepan over low
heat. In a measuring cup, mix remaining 1/2 c milk and cornstarch; stir
into hot milk. Stir constantly over medium heat until thickened and
starting to boil, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir about 1/2 c of the hot mixture
into beaten eggs. Dribble egg  mixture into pan and stir over low heat for
one minute. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and chocolate mix. Serve
warm or chilled in 4 dishes.
*For vanilla pudding, leave out chocolate.
*Microwave: Combine milk, sweetener and cornstarch in 2 qt dish. Cook for 6
minutes, stirring after 3 minutes, then after each minute. Beat in eggs and
cook 30 seconds more. Add vanilla and chocolate.

Pudding
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
2tbs. plus 1 tsp. cornstarch
2 cups milk
1 tbs. butter
1 tsp. gf vanilla
mix dry ingredients together in bowl or pot with wire whisk, add milk
and cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly or very fre-
quently, when thick to desired consistency, add 1 tbs. butter and 1 tsp.
gf vanilla and stir. Can be served warm or cold.
   Notes:  I have doubled the recipe and it works fine, I've also done
it in a large glass bowl in the microwave and it does well that way, you
have to check and stir frequently.  Skim milk makes it lower
calorie/fat.  Butter can be reduced or eliminated.