From:
D Van Olst <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
D Van Olst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2007 14:31:44 -0400

Hi everyone!  Thanks for your replies about getting off of antidepressant
medication.  I sent the following question to the list in early summer:

1)  I would like to hear from anyone who managed to get off of
antidepressants and switched over to natural remedies.  Please give details
of how you made the transition (I understand that you cannot use drugs like
Effexor along with natural remedies like St. John's Wort etc.)  What natural
remedies did you use?  Did you see a naturopath doctor?  Dietician?  PLEASE
DO NOT WARN ME ABOUT GETTING OFF OF ANTIDEPRESSANTS WITHOUT DOCTOR'S CONSENT
-- I KNOW THIS INFORMATION AND AM DOING THIS WITH THE DOCTOR'S PERMISSION.
Thanks.  I am especially interested in hearing any success stories of people
going from antidepressant drugs to natural remedies successfully.  How long
did the transition take?  Was it manageable?

Thanks for your replies -- most were people who replied wanted me to
summarize for them because this was an issue that they wanted to deal with
also.

One person told me that the gluten-free diet was her solution to her
depression.

Fast forward to July 6, 2007 when I had my last Effexor pill (after weaning
down considerably during the previous few months -- with permission from my
doctor). The next few weeks were good, but I did go through some withdrawal
which wasn't fun (fluish, head zaps etc.).  I have tried getting off of the
medication 3x before and have never made it past 3 weeks.  My symptoms were
usually crying day & night with no real reasons why.  It made my life
impossible to live normally.  If I could have crawled into a hole and stayed
there, I would have liked that.

I'm happy to tell you that it's now been 6 weeks without any medication and
I feel NORMAL!  It has been very, very encouraging and I am cautiously
optimistic.  I have been working on keeping my stress level down and have
been taking extra vitamins (especially B vitamins as suggested in
Prescription for Natural Health and in conjunction with my doctor's advice).
  I had my blood vitamin levels taken a few weeks ago but only the folate
results are back: 'normal'.  I am NOT taking any herbal supplements for
depression.

Of course only time will tell if this will continue to work, but I am
beginning to believe that my depression was caused by the
celiac/gluten-intolerance and that I'm on my way to more healing.  I have
seen healing in so many areas on my body and it's been really exciting (I've
been on a GF diet for 2 years now).

Thanks for your help -- I hope this update encourages you!

Dawn