From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 10:49:35 -0400

Hello, list:

Perhaps some of you can help me identify the likely source of mysterious
symptoms I've been having.

Since my celiac diagnosis (biopsy) about a year and a half ago, I have been
very careful about the diet. My last blood work - April - showed zero
antibodies. Other indications (complexion, energy, iron levels and so
forth) confirm the assumption that the celiac is under control.

For the two weeks or so, however, I have been terribly bloated and
uncomfortable, have had sharp pains in the belly at various locations, have
bad breath (usually a sign of gluten problems, but I think not this time)
and according to a couple of friends, I don't look so hot (circles under my
eyes again, tired looking).

Based on my attempts to eliminate suspect ingredients from my diet, I am
thinking the problem might be with lactose--but that does not make a lot of
sense. If my villi are fine, and lactose intolerance in celiacs is
customarily a by-product of extensive villi damage, could I suddenly
develop it anyway? Has anyone else had an experience like this?

How many days lactose-free does it take before the bloating et al subsides?
Or is it more a matter of hours?

Has anyone had a bad reaction to Vitamin B-12 tablets (mine are from
Freeda, so gluten is surely not the problem). I had been feeling great --
attributable in part, I think, to the extra B-12 - but have stopped taking
them because I have cut out everything that is either new to my diet or is
food I do not have complete control over (i.e., I have been sticking to
vegetables and tomatoes and apples; use olive oil but no butter, cooking
everything myself, drinking water and maybe 1/2 glass of red wine a day.
Haven't had coffee, tea, or anything caffienated in a year at least.)

Do I just need to give this more time, or what?

I also have Hashimoto's, for which I take a low dose of throid (the med is
gluten-free) every day, but as far as I know, digestive symptoms are not
associated w. the thyroid issue.

Sorry for the long message and thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Mary Brown
NYC