From:
"Chiarini, Donna" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chiarini, Donna
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:58:59 -0400

I came across information about this product in a recent issue of Every
Day Food Magazine.

  <http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm> 	   Air Chilled

  <http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=home>
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=who_we_are>
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=who_you_are>
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=recipes>
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=products>
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=where_to_buy>
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=tour>
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=news>
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=contact_us>

Products <http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=products>
Fresh Chicken <http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=fresh_chicken>

Convenience Food
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=convenience_food>

Gluten Free Chicken
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=gluten_free>

Other Poultry <http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=other_poultry>

Storage and Safe Handling
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=storage_safe_handling>

Gluten Free Chicken

Over the years you have asked us to develop a line of Gluten Free
products, and after two years of product development they are ready for
market.

According to recent studies, 1 in 133 or 2.18 million Americans suffer
from Celiac Disease which is also known as gluten intolerance.  "The
disease mostly affects people of European (especially Northern European)
decent, but recent studies show it affects Hispanic, African American
and Asian populations as well.  The only acceptable treatment for celiac
disease is strict adherence to a 100% gluten-free diet for life."[1]
"An adherence to a gluten-free diet can prevent almost all complications
caused by the disease."[2]

We are confident that you will appreciate our efforts when you try our
New  Gluten Free Chicken Breast Nuggets and Gluten Free Chicken Breast
Tenders, both breaded with Rice and Corn Flour.

The intent is not to replace our award winning Chicken Breast Nuggets
and Chicken Breast Tenders made with wheat flour, but to complement our
"Blue Box" line with Gluten Free versions.  As you will see, the Gluten
Free products are in a clearly labeled black box, which will make
product identification very easy for the consumer.

The steps we take to guard against cross contamination between Gluten
Free and products that contain Gluten.

The facility that produces our Gluten Free ("Black Box") nuggets and
tenders also produces our world famous "Blue Box" items that contain
gluten.  However, great care is given to protect against gluten
containing products from coming in contact with Gluten Free products.

The process begins with training.  All new hires are trained in the
handling of allergenic materials used in that facility - Milk, Eggs, Soy
Beans, Wheat and Gluten.

Whenever ingredients are delivered, all allergen containing ingredients
are identified, tagged and segregated from other ingredients and
packaging materials.  If a spill were to occur, only specifically
identified cleaning materials may be used to clean up the allergen.

All Bell & Evans Gluten Free products are produced at the beginning of a
shift and only after all processing equipment has been thoroughly
cleaned and sanitized.  In addition to our sanitation and segregation
protocols, we begin each new shift of Gluten Free production with Fresh,
Non-Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil.

[1] Celiac.com <http://www.celiac.com/>

[2] New England Journal of Medicine, May 2, 1996 - Volume 334, Number
18, "The many Faces of Celiac Disease" by Charles H. Halsted, MD

(c)2006 Bell & Evans(r)    |     154 W. Main St., Fredericksburg, PA
17026    |     717-865-6626    |     Privacy Policy
<http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=privacy_policy>     |
Site Map <http://www.bellandevans.com/index.cfm?act=site_map>