Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 18:43:38 -0600

I have received several e-mails from listmates with
approaches to dry eye other than artificial tears, humidifier,
and ointment at bedtime.

One listmate said she doesn't use ointment, her eye Dr. said
it would clog the glands at the base of the eyelashes (the ones
I referred to as at rim of eyelid).

A lot of Sjogrens patients and others with dry eye
find it necessary to use ointment at bedtime, and my own
eye Dr. says to gently scrub the base of the eyelashes
after soaking the eye area with very warm compresses,
a.m. and p.m.

Another listmate said to get the tear ducts plugged, done
first with collagen and later with polyethylene plugs, I
think.  Some people are good candidates for this.  I
am not.  I am very reactive and three opthamologist decided
separately that I should not have this done.

I also had questions about brand of humidifier.  No particular
brand - just get a good one with an evaporative filter that's
easy to fill and use and fairly quiet.  Preferably with a switch
to turn in on and off and with low and high settings.

Vicki Jones
Homewood, IL