From:
Deb Resch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 20:10:55 -0500

This may not sound very kind so if some people are offended by what I about
to say - well, I accept that and I'm sorry I have offended you, so please
don't write and tell me I'm insensitive, OK?  Unless there is medical proof
that Margot Kidder's erratic behavior is connected directly with a
diagnosed case of Celiac Disease, I personally do not want her to be
representative of this disease even if Superman did find her attractive once!

There are enough misconceptions connected with Celiac Disease and I
personally do not want to be labeled as "flaky" or "unstable" since there
are many other symptoms connected with the disease and as far as I know
"cowering in the bushes" is not a common medical indicator that would point
most physicians in the direction of a Celiac Disease diagnosis.

I not insensitive to what Margot Kidder has been through.  I had a very
difficult time before I was diagnosed.  Being constantly ill, feeling weak,
unwell and unable to function and live your life as you normally expect to
live it,  is depressing, debilitating and makes you feel down right crazy.

Life is not always easy, regardless, and anyone who lives  long enough
eventually discovers that most things don't go according to plan.  I don't
know anymore about Margot Kidder other then what I have read.  I don't want
to be critical or negative about her motives because I don't have all the
facts.  I just don't want people to be so anxious to have Celiac Disease be
a recognized, legitimate, mainstream disease that we latch on to any
celebrity who think can give us some public recognition, regardless of
their credentials, motives, or their possession of an actual medical
diagnosis.

I also realize that my last statement regarding an "actual diagnosis" will
offend some people.  It is unfortunate for those who have not been able to
find a medical professional able to accurately perform the tests needed for
a formal medical diagnosis.  I sympathize with those people, but I
honestly feel that it is important for the legitimacy of the disease as
well as for the health and well-being of most people, that a formal,
medical diagnosis of this disease is important.  No diet is easy but ours
is very expensive and restrictive.  There are many healthy foods that we
must pass up.  I am not complaining but I certainly wouldn't put myself
through the time, trouble and expense if I wasn't absolutely sure!

Just my two cents.

Deb