From:
Tina Walia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tina Walia <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:11:38 -0700

I had posted a question regarding GF stay in London (UK).  Thanks to the
wonderful people in our List who wrote to me, I have a lot of information to
share with the group.  I heard from people who have visited London, have lived
there for an extended period of time or are currently living in UK.  Following
is a summary of the responses:

1.      Celiac Sprue is much more known in the UK than in the US.  Therefore, it is
much easier to be GF there.  However, as one person pointed out, the language
may be the same but there are some differences.  Just be careful.  Overall,
the impression is that one is spoilt for choice there.  It was also pointed
out that London is a lot more expensive.
2.      The first thing is to contact the UK Coeliac Society at
http://www.coeliac.co.uk/.  The people there are most helpful!  They also have
a “Food and Drink Directory” that can be ordered over the phone (credit card
payment) which lists thousands of GF food items available in the UK grocery
stores.
3.      GF shopping in a grocery store in the UK should be much easier than in the
US.  There are clearly marked sections in chains like Safeways, Sainsburys,and
Tescos (store brand called FreeForm).  Just read the labels (check for wheat
starch that is allowed in the UK on a GF diet).  Also, health food stores and
drug stores (called chemists) provide GF food.  In some of these places, one
has to order a few days in advance.  GF food is available at Harrods, Holland
and Barrets, Marks and Spencers, Budgens.  Some brands like Glutafin and
Glutano are supposed to be very available.  Other suggestions:  Heinz tomato
soup (labeled GF), “Simply Sausages” makes fabulous gluten free varieties,
Nestles have a large range of GF products (www.nestles.co.uk), Walkers have
gluten free products (all their chips called crisps in the UK are GF
(www.walkers.co.uk)
4.      It seems that eating out in London restaurants is not difficult.  They seem
to be aware of GF needs.  Some suggestions were:  ordering salads, "jacket
potatoes" -- baked potatoes with various things on it,  broiled fish, steamed
veggies.  Restaurant suggestions:  chain -- Café Rouge (one behind Harrods on
Knightsbridge),  a Pub called Porters in the theatre district, a Spanish
restaurant in the Oval district, a great sushi place called Yo! Sushi, the
Orangery at Kensington Palace, Pret A Manger (a healthy take-away food chain
with lots of salads and sandwiches on gluten free bread), Selfridges food
hall.
5.      Everyone suggested to carry some GF food along – for emergency and
specially for the flights.  Suggestions:  canned food, energy bars, apricots
with mixed nuts.
6.      For a special treat, the afternoon tea at the Savoy has been suggested.  It
is expensive--about 23 pounds--but if you call a day ahead, they will prepare
gluten free items (even without wheat starch).  The goodies savored by our
friends are gluten-free tea sandwiches, creme brulee, cream puffs, fruit tarts
in chocolate baskets, scones.
7.      It sounds like renting a flat in London would be helpful.  One can buy GF
breads etc. and cook some meals “at home”.  Look for a flat with microwaves
and toasters etc.  Areas that people have rented a flat in:  near Victoria
Station, in Islington (health food store nearby), Pak Place Apts near
Petticoat Lane.
The internet makes it easier to look for a flat.  Some links suggested:

http://www.1st-london-hotels.com/pages/london_apartments.htm
(may be the most helpful)

http://www.altavista.com/r?ck_sm=c00266d2&ref=20092&uid=4af7a5bec220bcdb&r=h
ttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.budgettravel.com%2Frent.htm

http://www.altavista.com/r?ck_sm=52f63fc1&ref=20092&uid=6716648de274e078&r=h
ttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.homeexchange.com%2Ftestimonials.php

 http://www.studios92.com/

Thank you everyone who gave me all this information and encouraged me to go
and have a good GF time!

Tina Walia
California, USA

PS.  I was not successful in opening some of the web links given to me.  I
have copied them exactly as given.  Please do not e-mail me with questions
regarding these.