From:
Sue Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 2004 17:30:40 -0800

Greek Meat Loaf

1 medium onion, chopped
2 Tbs olive oil, schmaltz, or parve margarine (or butter, if you don't
keep kosher)
1/2 c shredded carrot
1/2 c shredded raw potato
1 small eggplant (1 pound), trimmed, pared, and shredded
2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
2 lbs lean ground beef
4 Tbs lemon juice, divided in half
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely diced
1 1/2 c fine dry bread crumbs (can use any gf bread crumbs, or Paskesz
Pesach Crumbs)
3 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp pepper
(can use more or less of all seasonings to taste, or add others--a little
cayenne is a nice touch)
2 Tbs sugar

Preheat oven to 350 F.

1. Saute onion in oil/schmaltz/margarine/butter in a 10- or 12-inch
skillet 3 minutes, until soft and somewhat golden. Remove from heat. Stir
in carrot, potato, eggplant, & garlic, tossing to coat well. Cover, put
back on heat and cook about 5 minutes,or until wilted but still crisp.

2. Combine meat, eggs, tomatoes, crumbs, salt, cinnamon, pepper, 2 Tbs
lemon juice, and cooked vegetables in a large bowl, mixing lightly by
hand. Press firmly into a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan. turn out onto a lightly
greased large shallow baking pan. (Loaf may also be shaped by hand
directly on the baking pan.)

3. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes. Mix remaining 2 Tbs lemon juice and
sugar in a cup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. After the 45 minutes
of baking, brush this mixture over the loaf.

4. Continue to bake 15 minutes longer, or until brown and glazed. Lift
onto heated serving platter with 2 wide spatulas. Let sit several minutes
before serving for easier slicing.

The leftovers make great cold meat loaf sandwiches, or slices can be
reheated by frying in oil, schmaltz, or butter.

Serves 8 generously.
-------------------
Meatloaf

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 cup potato flakes
1 cup salsa
1 egg

mix well and bake in 350 degree oven for 1 hour
-------------------
Make it the normal way but substitute 1 1/2 cup of rice in place of the
cracker crumbs, or grate up a potato-- same amount..
tastes great!
----------------
hamburger (up to 3 lbs.)
Pre-cooked rice (2 cups or so)
Italian spices (a good couple of tbsp.)
Tomato sauce (I can)
Diced tomatoes (I can)
egg (usually 2)
Diced white onion (maybe 3/4 to 1 whole)
Salt and pepper

Mix everything together, put tomato sauce on top and bake in a loaf pan at
350 for about 1 hour
-------------------
Meat Loaf Florentine

For each pound of ground meat:

1 egg
2 or 3 Tbsp. Cream of Rice (depending upon the leanness of the meat)
1 tsp. Salt
some diced onions

Cook one package chopped spinach and add to mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1_  - 2 hours.
-------------------
 I just mix my meat with a pkg of Onion Soup mix (1 lb meat / 1 pkg mix),
cover the top with Ketchup and bake.
  Cooked rice can be added for filler as an adequate substitute for
crackers, but I rarely use fillers.
------------------
I took this off the Better Homes & Gardens website (copyrighted by Nita
Holleman), and made it GF.  It's delicious!
(I actually used this recipe to make cocktail meatballs this past weekend.
Many rave reviews!)

1.5 lbs ground beef (I use ground sirloin)
1/2 c GF bread crumbs
1 egg
1 small onion finely chopped (I use a Vidalia)
salt & pepper to taste
4 tablespoons of ketchup
1/2 to 2/3 cup sweet milk or half and half (I use whole milk or 2%)

Sauce:
4 tablespoons apple cidar vinegar
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup

Combine meat loaf ingredients and place in a baking dish. Smooth out the
top.
Note: Recipe should be "plump" from the addition of the milk or 1/2 and
1/2 - It should not be runny.

Combine sauce ingrediants and pout on top and sides of meatloaf.
Bake @ 350 degrees Fahrneheit about 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes or until
done.

A second batch of sauce served hot is good to serve with the meat loaf.
------------------------
2 pounds chop meat
1 egg
1 cup warm water
1 piece GF white bread (I use kinninnick)
1/2 cup GF breadcrumbs ( I get it from Mr. Ritts)
1/2 onion chopped
1/2 onion sliced
salt/pepper to taste
2 tablespoons parsley
1 packet of herbox beef boulion dissolved into 3/4 cup water.

Put chop meat, egg, chopped onion, salt, pepper, and parsley in bowl.  Mix
well.
Soak piece of bread in warm water and break apart and add to mixure.
Add breadcrumbs and 1 cup water.
mix well.
the wetter the better.

preheat oven to 350 degrees.

form into loaf and put into pan with sliced onion all around it and on top.
Add the boulion/water mixture to pan.  Cook until done.  Maybe about 20-30
minutes.  Keep basting it too.