From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 2013 17:11:43 -0400

In addition to the apps that were listed in someone else's summary, what I find extremely useful, current and free is to just google the town or zip code of where I'm going and the words gluten-free restaurant or gluten-free food....something like that.  I invariably come up with a list of options.  Keep in mind that the internet is not always up to date, and neither are the apps.  So I phone ahead, just to be sure the place is still open and that they do indeed offer reliably gluten-free meals....and that mapquest has them in the right location.

Just because the internet says a place has gf food is no guarantee.  For example, Norma's, a Mediterranean style restaurant in Cherry Hill, NJ (my town), came out with a gluten-free menu recently, but the owner opted to evaluate his own menu to decide what to label gluten-free, vegan and vegetarian, without consulting anyone.  He was rather surprised to hear from me that not every brand of something inherently gf is totally reliable.  He seemed to know about kitchen practices, but when I went there recently, for the first time in 20 years (when I wasn't gf), the waiter knew nothing.  I had to question the tabouli in the meal on the menu that was labeled gf.  Down the bottom of the menu, it said that gf items may require substitutions, but if I didn't question the waiter, and insist that he go into the kitchen for information, I'm not sure what would have happened.  I later was able to speak directly with the owner on the phone, who said that my waiter was the last one to be trained.  Duh.

So just because a place has a gf menu, doesn't mean that they are great at it, and if you're on the road, you may not have options like you would at home.

But I still find google (internet searches, in general) to be the most productive way to find gf restaurants.

Lin
*******
*******