CELIAC-DIABETES Archives

Celiac-Diabetes Support List

CELIAC-DIABETES@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jackie Jacombs <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Celiac-Diabetes Support List <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 12:03:44 +0100

Hi  Lori

I have a daughter of 8 years she has been diabetic for 3 and a half years.
Over a year ago she developed symptoms that were like gastroparesis.  Hypos
straight after meals and hypos that were really difficult to treat.  The
diabetes team didn't  take any notice even when I told them that I was
having to give her Actrapid well over half an hour AFTER she ate otherwise
she would hypo. This went on for 6 months or more! There was never any
mention of celiac.  It was only by talking to another parent (on the other
side of the world, Oz) and looking at sites on the internet that I concluded
that celiac was a likely cause.  She had no other symptoms except "slow
digestion" causing low sugars post meals and high levels later when the food
eventually digested.   Sasha's blood test and biopsy was positive and her
identical twin sister has celiac, although not diabetes (yet)

I find the combination of the two conditions quite difficult to cope with if
we go out as a family to eat.  When one child needs to eat at a certain time
and most foods in chain restaurants comes ready made in packs they aren't in
a position to start cooking something from scratch.  So we don't really
bother now.  We do have to suffer Mc Donald's every now and again!!

I wonder if you could tell us more about your pancreas transplant.  I would
be very interested to hear about any aspects of it.

Jackie, England
Mum of Sasha aged 8 dx 1999, twin sister Rebecca, both coeliac 2001
Mum also to Danni and Nicola, wife to Terry

* Please provide references to back up claims of a product being appropiate *