CEL-KIDS Archives

CEL-KIDS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Laura B." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laura B.
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 08:51:02 -0500

Hi Everyone!

I would like your opinion regarding a child with Celiac Disease.

In the situation that children are being invited to birthday parties and to
friends houses, etc...  Do you think (in the child's best interest) that it is
better to:

1.  Openly explain to others that he/she has Celiac Disease?  And explain that
he/she cannot eat certain foods (and why he/she will come prepared with
their own food)?

OR

2.  Protect the child's privacy and just explain that the child has "food
allergies" and will need to bring their own food.  (Because the fact that he/she
has Celiac Disease is no one's business).

The reason I'm asking is because I know kids can be cruel.  I'm worried about
a few years from now when the other kids could start making fun of her for
having Celiac Disease.

I currently find myself explaining to every mother that hosts a birthday party
that my 4 year old child has Celiac Disease and we will need to bring special
food.  Am I doing the right thing?

Also, when she goes to Kindergarten/Elementary School - how will the
teachers treat this?  Are they obliged to keep her condition confidential or will
they let everyone know anyway?

Regards,
Laura

* Support summarization of posts, reply to the SENDER not the CEL-KIDS List *