From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 08:46:34 -0800

To the list

Here is the correct URL for the Celiac Disease Foundation:
Website for Gluten Free Living newsletter is [log in to unmask]

The reason I do not recommend CSA is two fold.  First they provide
inaccurate information on what foods contain gluten.  It's a proven,
scientific fact that distilled vinegar and spirits do NOT contain
gluten no matter what the source material.  They also state that we
are to avoid:  quinoa, millet, buckwheat, amaranth, etc., along with
canola oil, guar gum.  These items do not contain gluten unless
contaminated.  Scientific fact.  Yet CSA perpetuates misinformation.
Why restrict an already restricted diet?  The other two groups I
recommended provide accurate information on diet.

Secondly, we need a national organization for clout, not the many,
smaller groups we now have.  GIG and CDF are working toward that.
CSA is stone walling.

My opinion, folks...

Here is another:

> This list, for the time being and with all the red flags that sometimes
> get raised, is probably the best thing that could have happened to and
> for celiacs.
>
> Your endorsement of Joel's excellent question points to the fact that we
> do, indeed, need a lobbying organization for celiacs.  I would suggest
> that we would have as much, if not more, success if we pursued that
> route -- a single focus group, working with the FDA and food manufacturers.

Diane