From:
Kathy Velasquez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 00:52:16 -0400

Hi everyone.  Sorry it has taken so long to summarize but i've been
extremely busy.  I had asked a question regarding stomach cramps/pain
after intense workouts.  Many of you have reported similar problems,
some with the following remedies, some with no remedy or solution.  The
advice is listed below:

    1)  2 people suggested having sports drinks or juices post exercise
        for the sugar, electrolytes, and sodium,  This has helped prevent
        stomach cramps.

    2)  3 people suggested I am drinking too much water and am probalby
        causing too much bloating which is causing the cramps.  One
        suggested drinking water before and after exercise but not during.

    3)  2 people said i probably do not have enough food in my stomach

    4)  1 suggested deepbreathing to get more oxygen into my lungs

    5)  1 suggested i might be taking too much supplemental calcium.
        She had this problem, and since cutting back has had no problems.

    6)  1 suggested trying candied ginger, shich is calming to the
        stomach, after workouts.  He takes this and has had good success.

I have not tried any of the above yet.  I know I cannot cut down on the
water I dring during a workout, and I'm pretty sure I have plenty of
food in my stomach, (I have delayed stomach emptying as well, so i'm
pretty sure there is always food in there).  I do breathe quite well and
get plenty of O2,  I think i might try the sports drinks/juice ro the
ginger, and see what happens.  I've been GF for over 1 1/2 years (as per
one questioner), so I don't believe it has anything to do with gluten.
Thanks to all for your advice.  i will try some of the above and keep
you all posted.   God Bless.  Kathy V