Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 06:27:10 -0600

I have recently learned that jaundice associated with a normal liver profile
may be Gilbert's syndrome, which apparently allegedly has no symptoms and no
treatment associated with it. However, it would explain the yellow skin
tint, especially noticeable in my son's palms and feet. Also, one person
discovered that her son's Gilbert's was triggered by certain foods, beef,
gluten and casein in particular. So I am interested in knowing if listmates
have any jaundice not associated with known liver problems, and also whether
anyone has discovered any particular triggers for the jaundice. We are
already dairy and gluten free, and I do recall we felt pretty good when we
ate only fish as our protein for a while (then craved beef for variety), we
now eat beef virtually daily but the jaundice comes and goes, so beef may
play a role but I am suspecting other or co-triggers. I also suspect that
bacterial overgrowth plays a role, as we had a positive organic acid urine
test from www.greatplainslaboratory.com , but the five months of probiotic
(acidophilus) therapy have not made any obvious changes. I think that the
bacterial overgrowth may be at the terminal ileum (last section of small
intestine) and impairs the reabsorption of bile salts - perhaps this
explains the pale stools. The prescription pancreatic enzymes help
tremendously, but are not the whole answer. Also, a few years ago my son's
beta carotene was through the roof but his Vit A was low (the liver is
supposed to change beta carotene to vit A), and despite the high beta
carotene, his d-xylose absorption test was very low, indicating
malabsorption. All feedback welcome. Thanks.

Hilary
====
The Shugharts
21 County Road 3024