From:
Betsy Algis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:41:24 -0700

Dear listmates,

Here is the summary of messages about Konjac Flour.  I didn't call the
lunchmeat company since the web page seemed pretty thorough, and it appears
it is GF.  Still doesn't sound like something we want to use in quantity.
But since this ingredient was next to last in the list for this lunchmeat, I
assume there was very little in the product.  DD has decided not to bother
with it, she will eat something else.  She's 14, what can I say?

Thanks to those who answered.

Betsy Algis, Way Northern California

===========summary- Konjac Flour===============
Konjac flour is derived from a water-soluable fiber called glucomannan.
Glucomannan is used as a dietary supplement because it
has the ability to absorb fats from the colon.  Glucomannan capsules
taken before meals will cut down the appetite because glucomannan has
the ability to expand over 50 times it weight when mixed with water.
It is used in food processing to help "plump" up the final product.

Glucomannan comes from the roots of a plant called amorpholphallis.
My understanding is that this plant is not related to wheat or any
cereal grains, therefore, may be considered GF.  However, it's ability
to alter the absorption of dietary fats in the colon should call for
scrutiny as it pertains to the delicate digestion of people with
celiac disease.
***
What is Konjac Flour?
See http://www.konnyaku.com/e_data/konjac2.html
Sounds like it should be safe.
***
I'd never heard of it either. Try going to
http://www.konnyaku.com/e_data/konjac2.html. Some of the terminology on this
page sounds a little scary, although the product is apparently safe in small
amounts. I get nervous when I read that a food product's consumption is
"self limiting" and that the consumption maximum is referred to as "worst
case scenario". Apparently, "alkali.treated konjac flour, was used to
cleanse one's digestive tract of irritating and poisonous substances and
keep one's internal organs clean".

All this on a site that SUPPORTS the use of konjac flour.

***
End of Summary