From:
Rebecca Goyan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 1999 12:32:09 -0600

Hi there!

I don't know what it's like in the rest of the world, but in Calgary,
the hottest new trend (according to the Calgary Herald) is Korean food.
Just thought I would put out a general warning:  it is very difficult
(read: nearly impossible) to eat gf at a Korean reastaurant, as all the
dishes I have ever been exposed to (both before and after gf) use
marinated meat.  The sole exception seems to be shellfish, but since I
can't have that either...well, you get the idea.  We have tried eating
at several restaurants and I get poisoned every time.

However, there is a bright note here - the food is extremely easy to
make at home!  My suggestions would be to try making a hot noodle soup,
bi bim bap (a rice dish), and bulgogi beef - no more difficult than
making an average stir fry and has a different texture and taste.  You
can even get recipes to make your own kimchee (pickled cabbage, kind of
like spicy saurkraut).  The calgary herald published recipes last week,
but I would assume a good net search would pull up some good suggestions
too.  If anyone has seen where you can buy the stone bowls used in
Korean restaurants, I'd appreciate a note too.

This might be something new to try - happy eating!

Becky
Calgary, Alberta