From:
Susan Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 13:44:51 -0700

Here's a summary of responses I received. Look
for highlights of actual messages in a separate post.

In my original message, I asked to be shot down for my
theory that it is difficult to be diagnosed in the U.S.
because M.D.'s receive insufficient nutritional training
in medical school and then rely on pharmaceutical
companies for continuing education. I expressed the
belief that until there are pricey drug treatments for
celiacs, doctors won't be trained to diagnose the disorder.
After posting this, I awaited a deluge of messages telling
me I was whacko. I wanted to be wrong so I could feel better about our
health care system.

My spirits soared when the first response I received said I
was wrong. The sender, who had worked in the
pharmaceutical and drug industries, felt that doctors were
bright and not easily duped. She said the FDA keeps drug
companies in line. Her doctor had done a brilliant job of
diagnosing her child. This turned out to be one of four
care.  Another has a son in medical school, and wrote
"they [the medical students] have learned some things
about it [CD]."

The remainder, and the vast majority of the responses (28), not only
agreed with my theory, SOME FELT I HAD NOT GONE FAR ENOUGH! There were
suggestions that doctors may receive kickbacks from pharmaceutical
companies, are being indoctrinated by the pharmaceutical companies
before they leave medical school, and are acting in the interest of the
grain industry.

A few offered solutions for turning things around:

- Send educational materials to doctors.

- Get a celebrity CD spokesperson.

Having a celebrity speak about having CD would be brilliant. I've
thought about this a lot. It certainly got more breast cancer diagnosed
when a First Lady announced she had it. Ever wonder why CD lacks a
poster child? Can you imagine the First Lady (or a famous actor)
admitting they had  . . .(gulp) . . . gas? The late night comedians
would go wild! Why do you think this disease has been such a hard sell
to the media? They'd rather report on AIDS, which, after all, involves
sex and drugs. Let's face it, there are aspects of CD that most people
just don't want to talk or hear about. I suppose our celebrity celiac
could be asymptomatic, but what good would the publicity for CD
do if it didn't call attention to the most common symptoms?

Sorry to be such a downer, but now I've concluded that
we orphaned by the health care system because we
are not money makers for it, and we can't focus public
attention on this injustice because many of our
symptoms are (dare I say this?) socially embarrassing.

Can anyone think of a PR strategy around this?

Oh well, thank goodness we have this list and each other.

Summary of messages is being sent separately.