From:
"Sandra G. Ackerman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 1999 16:43:53 EDT

On October 3rd, I flew Continental from Orlando to Houston.  My gluten-free
meal had a card enclosed.  One side was a Food Guide Pyramid.  The other side
reads: Continental Airlines and The University of Houston Conrad N. Hilton
College of Hotel and Restaurant Management have collaborated on Continental's
new SPECIAL MEAL PROGRAM.  Professor and Dietitian, Dr. Nancy Graves, R.D.
has used her expertise to design new menus in all special meal categories.
All of the menus are based on a 2000 calorie diet.  This meal represents a
portion of your calorie needs and is balanced according to the nutritional
guidelines of the food pyramid promoted by the USDA.  ENJOY YOUR SPECIALLY
DESIGNED MEAL........... and I surely did.  It was delicious.  They served a
salad of lettuce, tomato wedges, cucumber slices, baby carrots, unmarinated
plain grilled chicken (with a lemon wedge).  An apple and a package-sealed
coconut macaroon cookie.  The package reads:  Gluten Free, Lactose Free,
Wheat Free, Sulfite Free.  I would like to contact the people responsible, to
express a large thank you.  However, there no contact number.  This must be a
new change for Continental, because I flew from Houston to Orlando on
September 29.  I was served a gluten-free snack.  The tray had 3 items on it
and only 1 was correct.  The correct item was a banana.  The other two were
rice krispies and Edensoy organic soy milk (ingredients listed:  purified
water, organic soybeans, naturally malted corn and barley extract, job's
tears, organic barley, kombu seaweed, sea salt.  There also was no card
enclosed.  Perhaps the new change will be a pleasant one for all of us.

Sandra Ackerman