From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:43:11 -0500

Dear List:
I received many wonderful replies to my report on a Thanksgiving feast,
prepared partly by a newly diagnosed celiac and a recently diagnosed
celiac (3 years ago) for a newly diagnosed ADD sufferer.

The ADD sufferer enjoyed only some of the meal--he is unbelievably
inhibited in terms of experimentation.  He would not take more than a
taste of mashed potato-parsnip mixture, did not like the dressing on the
hors d'oeuvre, picked slightly at the avocado/grapefruit salad, turned
up his nose at the pumpkin pie, which admittedly was not like
commercially-made pie, though the rest of us preferred it and said so.

In short, his attitude of inflexibility made clear to my son how far
ahead he is in terms of feeling well, helping himself, and changing his
life for the better.  Perhaps with time this friend can be induced to be
less rigid.  But that is a major problem for all of us...

Several people requested recipes:

Parsnips:  boil them until soft, then mash them along with
potatoes (boiled separately) with milk, butter, salt and pepper.

Marinated turkey:  We marinated it in a solution of 3/4 cup kosher salt
and 1/2 cup sugar to about 2 gallons of water:  Boil the water, dissolve
the salt and sugar in it, let it cool then add chopped onion, chopped
carrot and chopped celery and about a tsp each of black peppercorns,
coriander seed, fennel seed, and 1/2 tsp.  red pepper flakes, a couple
sprigs of thyme and whatever else might strike your or my fancy.  After
soaking in this for 3 days the meat was incredibly juicy, tasty, and
tender.  Roast at 400 for about 20 minutes, then at 350 for 12 minutes to
the pound.  Thanks to the New York Times.

Stuffing:  Sweet onion (Vidalia onion) minced and softened in a
skillet with but up bits of turkey bacon and olive oil.  Add
several Macintosh apples, some store-bought gf corn muffins (which we
find too dry and too sweet for regular muffin -eating, but perfect for
stuffing), chestnuts, the chopped turkey liver, and allspice, rosemary
and thyme for seasoning.

Avocado/Grapefruit Salad:  Combine avocado slices with the meat of pink
grapefruit and marinate in balsamic vinegar to taste.  Mine sat in the
vinegar for a few hours before serving and it was divine, but it doesn't
have to have advance preparation.

Other turkey suggestions were requested for year-round enjoyment:  I
make a wonderful turkey loaf with ground turkey, minced onion, chopped
celery, sesame meal (i.e., ground sesame seeds, either white or black)
(1/2 cup to about a pound and a half of turkey), an egg, salt and pepper
to taste.  I bake it in a loaf pan, then freeze slices to take along for
lunches at work.

Bon appetit!

Nancy in nyc