From:
Jack and Laurie Tepe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 1999 17:59:55 -0600

Hi Friends – Here is a summary of "excerpts" in response to my question
about airborne gluten  posed yesterday.  I'm feeling better today and I
like closure, I have my answer and here is my summary.   I had a gluten
reaction yesterday from airborne whole wheat and it was a drag.

1.The first reaction was upper respiratory and it happened quickly.  My
throat began to swell shut and I had violent diarrhea.  I went into
anaphylactic shock.  I was taken to a hospital and given adrenaline in the
chest to stop the reaction.

2.I had diarrhea, nausea, a headache, and was extremely weak- I could
barely walk.

3.If you are breathing in the flour, odds are that some of it is getting
washed into your stomach and small intestines.  My guess is that celiacs
wouldn't have reactions to airborne gluten if their digestive tract and
airway didn't share a common entrance.

4.When I would be sifting and mixing the flour of course, I was ingesting
the stuff that flew around.  Thought I was being so good sticking to the
diet, but kept getting episodes of running to the bathroom and having
explosive episodes of diarrhea.

5.there have been times when I've had the same thing happen to me that
happened to you...if I'm in the area while someone is making homemade
something-or-other with wheat flour, etc. and those particles become
airborn.
--And who's to say how long those flour particles remain in the air even
after we can't really see them anymore, you know?

6.That bout came 1 1/2 hours after making homemade pancakes with my mask
on.  Can I really be that sensitive?  I don't know but it seems so.

7.Yep.  I had to give up Christmas-time baking.

8.I also have a celiac friend that can not go into the mall where they are
cooking cookies without a reaction.

9.I went into a bakery with a friend and though I did not eat any thing or
drink a coffee (I had a juice in a bottle from the fridge) I got very ill.
i have CD and HD and was broken out for a month.

10.It does to me when my wife bakes pies for holiday family gatherings.  I
have learned to just leave the house until she is finished and cleaned up.

11.a man in our Gluten Free Gang (support group) that was in the large
downtown mall while they were baking cinnamon rolls. He was on the third
level and got very ill and ended up having a severe gluten reaction.

12.I recently heard that the folks near the flour mills have a terrible
Time, since the air is full of "mill dust".  MAN, I REALLY FEEL FOR THOSE
FOLKS.

THANK YOU PEOPLE.  UNITED WE LIVE.  -LAURIE