From:
Angi Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:17:56 -0800

Virtually all of you seem to believe that floating stools are not
normal.  I'm sure it's true that floating stools which are an odd or
pale color or leave an oil slick on the water or are not formed are not
normal.  But in doing some web reasearch, I find that while some sources
say "consult your doctor" any time you develop floating stools, several
others say that while it used to be believed that floating stools were a
sign of problems, now it's understood that they usually simply indicate
sufficient fiber in the diet, and in fact that *sinking* stools indicate
a diet too low in fiber, too high in meats and sugar and over-processed
foods.  I'm relieved to read this, because after a lifetime of
experience with not only my own family, but many many children I've
cared for as a daycare provider and worker, virtually *all* of whose
stools have floated, I would have a hard time believing they were *all*
ill or abnormal.

I suspect that the reason some celiacs' stools tend to go from floating
(non-"fatty") to sinking as they become gf is because as they eliminate
the gluten, they also wind up eliminating much of the fiber.  When I was
gf for a few weeks with my daughter, though, I was eating virtually *no*
processed or prepared foods, and very little meat, but mostly just fresh
fruits and vegetables, legumes and nuts, and brown (whole grain) rice
and brown rice products.  All medium-to-high fiber foods.  So of course
my stools continued to float.

  -- Angi