From:
Jessie James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 17:15:12 -0700

Thanks for the many replies and lively discussion. Here is the 'meat' of it:

- One poster said that he/she recalled some discussion on this list early
this year but I have only found one reference which is a research report
that states that MSG in the US is free of gluten as it is all made from
corn.

The following are opinions expressed:

-  MSG is never safe for anyone.

-  Canadian MSG may be gluten free or it may not.

-  The Canadian Celiac Association describes MSG as being free from gluten.

-  V8 juice no longer contains MSG, if it ever did.

-  Posters from Europe are less certain about MSG being gluten free.

So the consensus is that MSG is free from gluten in Canada & the USA.  With
foods from other countries, perhaps we should proceed with caution until
more is on record about them.

Thanks again for the response.  Many helpful replies.  Great way to learn.

Jessie  on Salt Spring Island  BC  Canada