From:
Karen Slimak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 02:47:41 -0400

In addition to a number of brochure requests, we did receive
one question which we believe might be of interest to others:

"We are not happy with the taste and texture of the gluten free, fat free
breads available or that we have baked.  Are there any good texture, good
tasting breads available, either baked or that we can bake?"

Special Foods response:

In our experience, there is no bread that is a complete replacement
for wheat breads, and that is identical in every way, nor should there
be. A bread that is identical in taste, texture, consistency, and overall
appearance could only be wheat bread.

It is not possible to take corn and make it taste like wheat.
However, corn bread tastes great in its own right. Anyone who
measures taste of bread alternatives by wheat alone as a standard,
by definition is setting up him/her self for disappointment.

This does not mean, however, that breads from alternative flours
should taste like chaff or straw. They should present the taste
and flavors of the foods they are derived from in a most
flavorful and pleasing way, but one that reflects the inherent
properties of that food. This is what we have strived to attain
at Special Foods.

We can not say in advance how any one person will like a particular
bread, but we do note that our sweet potato and cassava breads
are the most popular.

Children are very discriminating, often picky eaters, particularly
when it comes to accepting a new food. At a recent autism
conference we offered samples of slightly heated white sweet potato
bread. Parents brought their children to our table so they could try
the white sweet potato bread. It warmed our hearts to see
the children eat and enjoy this bread. We did not see a single refusal.