From:
"R. David Nackerud" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 08:01:30 -0700

I got the blood test results back yesterday and also visited with my
doctor - the blood test were normal (e.g., ferritin, CBC, B12).  He
suggested hay fever as pollen counts are high now.  Maybe this is it as have
suffered hay fever before and the "head" feelings are similar.  It is easy
to blame everything illness on gluten.  Have to remember that a  Celiac gets
viruses, colds, etc. that everyone else gets.

I received responses from 12 different people and below is the summary.  I
appreciate all the suggestions and support.  It is a heart warming feeling
to know that one is not alone.  Would I trade you all for a better
autoimmune system along with a beer and a burger?  Hmmm.

I took Diane Humphrey's suggestion and tried some liquid chlorophyll which
aids in the absorption process and it worked - felt much better.  Maybe it
was just a coincidence that I started feeling better about the time I
started taking the Chlorophyll.  From what I've read, liquid chlorophyll is
very safe (derived from alfalfa).

SUMMARY:
1)  Eating out frequently (I was traveling 5 weeks) can cause anemia.
Sallyo's advice:  Eat the basics for a few days, take your vitamins, and
drink a lot of water.

2)  You may have picked up a bacteria or a parasite while traveling. It is
also possible that you are still getting gluten in your diet or in vitamins
or medications; it could also be a related food allergy (dairy, corn, soy,
eggs).  Leslie's advice:  I have been GF for 5 years and still have ups and
downs. it is often not a straight line; do not despair, it takes time.

3) Diane's advice:  Try liquid chlorophyll.   Mix one tablespoon in a glass
of water three times a day and drink.  You will be amazed at how fast your
iron levels come up.  (And it helps you drink all the water you should every
day.)

4) From Ginger:  When I prepare my own food and thoroughly know all the
ingredients I'm using, I have no problems.  When I eat out, although I try
VERY hard, I almost always feel bad and believe I have ingested something I
shouldn't have.  When you find out how to avoid this, please let me know!!!

5) Chris' advice:  The first is the most obvious, something in your diet
changed and you need to track down what it is.  It can be something very
subtle things like toothpaste and dishwashing liquid even.  Secondly, after
you've been gf for awhile, you may get more sensitive to trace amounts of
gluten.

6)  From Mike:  Your symptoms are similar to what I get when I have been
subject to small doses of gluten.  First suggestion is to check your diet
for hidden gluten sources.

7)  From Susan:  I'd have your doctor check for parasites too since you're
been out of the country.  They can wreak havoc on your body.

8)  From Joe:  He is experiencing similar problems so we are corresponding.

9)  From Kathy:  You sound similar to me, except mine started within a month
or so of going GF.  I also was found with CD in January.  What happened for
me was that I developed other food allergies that caused me to feel dizzy or
fuzzy head, joint pain, constipation, fatigue, etc.  After testing for 96
food allergies with Great Smokies Lab, I was found to have developed
allergies to many of the foods I had increased on the GF diet such as soy,
peanuts, dairy, almonds, eggs.  It seems that your body is so use to
fighting gluten, when you take that away, it starts on others you're
consuming.  My doc put me on a rotation diet which was difficult.

10)  From Christie:  This has happened already many times to me during my
last GF year.  It's almost impossible to NOT eat gluten by accident.  In
fact, the longest I've gone without an "accident" is three months.

11)  From Rose Mary :  The "down" feeling you describe can also mean an
allergy, particularly if you are in a region with different pollens and
trees.  It can also mean an infection, even if your only symptom is the
tiredness.

12) From Phebe:  My GP says I will probably have to take an iron supplement
for the rest of my life. It was my number one symptom and lead to my
diagnosis (by biopsy, before we had blood testing).

R. David Nackerud
Portland, Oregon