From:
Sharon Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 00:27:50 -0500

Thanks for the tips on freezing soup.   Here is the summary---

Tip #1:  Pour about a cup (or your normal serving size) in a zip lock
bag, squeeze out the air, zip, and lay flat to freeze.  To thaw, just
run the bag under hot water (or set it in a pan of warm water) for a
couple of minutes and pour out the soup, and heat in the microwave.  I
find it is faster than trying to thaw out soup from a freezer container,
and they store easier in the freezer.

Tip #2:  I mix up the dry ingredients and keep them in a tupperware type
container.  When I need "cream soup", I just add the liquid.

Tip #3:  A tip I have found to be handy is to freeze broth in ice cube
trays.  Pop the frozen cubes in freezer bags. Nice for flavoring rice
and other dishes, for when your soup has been too absorbed by noodle or
beans, and just for a cup of broth. Also helpful if you've
oversalted/seasoned your soup, or even just to extend it a bit.

Tip #4:  I make a big batch of whatever soup I want, then ladle an
individual portion in my Tupperware microwaveable soup mug  and freeze
it.  When it's frozen I pop it out and put it in a freezer baggie for
later use.  It turns out kind of like a hockey puck (with varying
thickness, depending on how much soup you put in).  I keep doing this
until I have as many as I want or am out of soup.  When I want to take
one with me (usually for lunch at work) I take my soup-puck and slip it
back into the clean microwaveable Tupperware mug and I'm ready to go.
The mug has a little steam vent that pops up.  Works pretty good for me.
You don't have to worry about refrigerating it either as the soup is
still at least partly frozen at lunchtime.

Sharon in Kansas, USA