From:
Christie Priem <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Feb 1999 15:32:32 -0700

I wrote about a week ago asking about lactose intolerance and if anyone else
seemed to have developed it after being GF for a while.  The answer was a
resounding yes.  But many people wrote to tell me that I was probably not
lactose intolerant, but having a reaction to casein, which is a protein found
in all dairy products.  It is apparantly similar in structure to gluten and
many celiacs are also intolerant to casein.  Many people seemed to think that
I probably had simply not noticed the problem with dairy products before
because of my other symptoms.  But no one doubted that it can and does come on
later (in my case nine months) after being GF.

Thank you very much to those who responded.  It's great to feel well, and I
hope this ionformation helps some of you feel better!

-Christie in Phoenix