Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 15:56:31 -0800

This is a summary regarding my question for an explanation of "leaky
gut."  I will summarize the summary by saying--leaky gut is a good reason
not to cheat on the diet!!!  The following are remarks or knowledge of
individuals on the list. Thanks to you all.

(1) A leaky gut is one that has been damaged so that it no longer acts
properly.  A normal gut passes food through the intestine, breaking it
down into useable particles, absorbing the useable parts and eliminating
the rest.  A leaky gut allows large, undigested paricles of food to pass
into the bloodstream, causing all sorts of problesm such as food
sensitivites.

(2)  If you have CD, you probably have leaky gut--until we heal
outselves.  Vitamins should help.

(3)  It is not for CD only; it occurs in many diseases including
arthritis & gout.  It could take 2-3 years to heal the gut.  This person
was told by nutritionist to take L-glutamine capsule (500 mg, an amino
acid), and a strong acidophilus capsule--one with the words BIOTICS on
the lable which does not require refrig so you can carry them with you.
She felt better within 6 months and could eat dairy again.

(3)  Leaky gut causes physical reactions like arthritis, lupus, diabetes.
 The only vague or psychologic thing it causes is intense sleepiness
about 15 to 60 minutes after eating gluten food, drinking milk or citrus
juice.  It goes away until the next "dose."

(4)  A good book for good coverage--"Digestive Wellness" by Elizabeth
Lipski, M.S., C.C.N.

(5)  NEWSWEEK, Nov. 17, 1997, p. 95, had a full two-page article with
good diagrams on leaky gut.

(6)  The diet for healing a leaky gut should be derived from foods that
are well tolerated.  Avoid any known allergenic food.  Highly spiced food
should be excluded from the diet.  Many herbs recommended for intestional
health, such as cayeene, pau d'arco, and sometimes even goldenseal can
actually aggravate inflamed membranes lining the gut.  The diet is best
based upon fresh fruits and vegetables, low in animal fats and red meat
(use oily fish, chicken and other sea foods as a source of animal
protein).  This was taken from the following:
http://www.afpafitness.com/leakgut3.htm   (sorry I don't know how to make
it "clickable.")

(7)  There is another internet address where info can be accessed:

http://www.healthy.net/library/articles/galland/leakygut.htm

Sounds like we should keep it healed. - Thanks - Sharon in Kansas