From:
Anne Barfield <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 1999 12:19:30 -0600

Dear listmates,

On Friday, I requested information from any of you familiar with having
biopsies without sedation, especially regarding a nursing mother. This
was for my daughter who lives in anothe state, and  had the procedure
scheduled for Monday morning.  We received about 40 responses, most of
them encouraging her to do it.  I am forwarding this note from her.
She will get her results on Thursday, March 4.

To all of the people who offered advice and information about doing the
biopsy without sedation:

I did have the biopsy without sedation and it went pretty well.  My
doctor and the nurse assisting were very supportive and encouraging.  I
had a picture of my daughter in my hand to remind me why I was doing
it.  The whole thing lasted only 10 minutes so even though it was pretty

uncomfortable and a little tough to stay calm, I just forced myself to
breathe deeply through my nose.  I really enjoyed being able to just get

up and head out to meet my friends at Starbucks after it was over.  They

had my daughter with them and we went shopping and enjoyed a beautiful
afternoon together. My stomach and throat hurt some, but all in all, it
was a good day.

I really couldn't have done it without all of the encouragement and
support from those of you who took the time to respond.  I am really
moved by the support and caring that is offered from around the world.
I hope my results will be negative but if they are positive, I know
where to turn for information, help and understanding.

Thank you!  Kelly

From, Anne in San Antonio