From:
Debbie Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Apr 1999 20:12:17 EST

Our family went through a similar experience with 3 of our four children
turning up celiacs.  The first was diagnosed at age 10 but I'm sure had it
probably since he was 3.  He also has a lot of allergies so we always figured
his slow growth and mushy stools were due to numerous allergies.  He became
very sick after a ruptured appendix and after 3 months of many tests they
finally discovered through a biopsy and then confirmed with blood tests that
he was a celiac.  The other two children were diagnosed with positive
endomysial and IgA  antibodies followed by biopsies.  However they never
presented with severe symptoms and were diagnosed a year apart.  Partially
due to a lab error in reporting results.  The symptoms can vary greatly, but
the damage was almost identical to the child with severe symptoms when
biopsied.  It is worth it to know.  The worst was having a child really sick
for several months and not knowing what in the world was wrong.  Other
compications can show up later from malabsorption syndrome such as clotting
problems, anemia, and osteoporosis.  It is worth the biopsy to know for sure.
 You can get false negatives on the blood test.  I strongly recommend that
you make sure he is adequately gluten challanged before biopsy.  A good
gulten source 3-4 times a day for a good 6-12 weeks.  I know people who
haven't done this and go through the biopsy and find out basically what they
knew before.  They aren't sure.  Good Luck!  Hope your  celiac child will
enjoy his knew found good health.  Debbie