PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Bernet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:20:54 EDT
In a message dated 10/23/00 4:57:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Dear Colleagues:
 I am trying to write a book called "Freudian Dream Interpretation for
 Poets."  It is sort of a guidebook for poets who insist on exploiting dreams
 and mythology but are getting tired of embarrassing themselves.  I am not a
 psychoanalyst, but I have been a worshipful admirer of Freud for the past
 thirty-six years, and I am always trying to make sure I understand his
 theories clearly.  Can anyone tell me if people who undergo
 electric-convulsive therapy have post-traumatic dreams about it,  and if
 they do not, is there a widely-accepted theory as to why that should be?
 This information is absolutely necessary before I can proceed >>

You might want to take a look at a book by French Nobelist writer Roger
Caillois, published in 1962 by Orion in NYC.  The title as I recall was "The
Dream Experience" (shame on me!  I should remember, I translated part of it).

It's not psychoanalytic by an means but it is an anthology of dreams in
biography and literature, covering 3000 years and at least four continents.
This should give you many suggestions for poets.  Bonus: the original dreams
are almost all in the public domain; the more recent translations in many
cases may not be.

Michael Bernet
New Rochelle, NY