PSYCHOAN Archives

Psychoanalysis

PSYCHOAN@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Bernet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Psychoanalysis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 1998 10:28:26 EDT
Dr. Wadchstock ([log in to unmask]) has confirmed to me that he referred to
the Jewish Psychology Newsletter (without naming it) in his recent posting to
this List, that read:

<<Most of us have blind spots and we need others to point these out to us. A
blind spot of one of the most eminent psychoanalyst of our generation- Heinz
Kohut -is particularly disturbing .I want to share a communication that I
addressed to colleagues and submitted to a Newsletter. It was never published
.In a note to me the editor stated that he could not believe that Kohut had
actually meant  what he had said.You be the judge . I believe that Kohut had a
blind spot that self-analysis was not able to resolve>>

That is an inaccurate presentation.  I did actually publish the following in
the Jewish Psychology Newsletter, Vol 1, issue 9-10:

<<"Jewish Self-Hate"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This was one of the topics that was loosely discussed in earlier issues.  The
phrase has recently been used--justifiably or not--for those who are publicly
opposed to Israel's policies and decry it, for instance, for the use of
torture to extract information on impending terrorist attacks.

David Wachstock, Psy.D. ([log in to unmask]) is perturbed by the revelations
that the father of Self Psychology Heinz Kohut, a crypto-Jew from Austria,
took pains not only to hide his Judaism, but reportedly also the reality of
the death camps and the Holocausts.  How do we explain Kohut? How would  that
effect our understanding of Self Psychology?>>

My request to Dr. Wachstock had been to furnish me with more information on
the context of Kohut's alleged statements, which he did not do.  From the
language of Dr. Wachstock's  message to me, there appeared to be a reasonable
likelihood that Kohut was contrasting the pre-1940 concentration camps (such
as Dachau) on German soil with the later extermination camps on East-European
soil.  Given the ambiguity of his statement, and my inability to decipher who
was being cited, I believe I gave a fair synopsis of the statement Dr.
Wachstock submittred for publication. I may add that I know little of Self
Analysis and even less about Kohut and I am neither in a position to <<believe
that Kohut had actually meant  what he had said>> nor to disbelieve it.

Incidentally, the latest edition of the Jewish Psychology Newsletter is now
available.  Jewish Psychology Newsletter touches on all matters, from
Holocaust to Halakha and history, Jews and psychotherapy, psychology in Torah
and rabbinic sources, psychology in later literature and art, anti-semitism,
family issues, women's issues, legal issues and is by no means limited to
psychologists or psychotherapists. It is non sctarian and is open to all
branches of psychology--and of Judaism.  Questions, contributions and
announcements are always welcomed. Jewish Psychology Newsletter publishes on
an irregular schedule, twice a month on the average. For free subscription
send an email with the wordds <subscribe me> in the subject line to

Thank you

Michael Bernet, Ph.D.