From:
Sondra Henry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:47:00 -0400

First and foremost, thank you to everyone who responded.  I am not alone in this
BIG celiac world!  What a relief.  I received over 40 responses and will
summarize as best as I can.  It might be a little long, but some of the
information I thought was worth sharing.  After reading all the responses, I've
decided to investigate several options, the first one having my B12 level
checked.

Here goes:

1.      Many individuals mentioned B12 injections.  Once on B12 injections,
their dizziness, tingling and numbness in their extremities decreased, even
went away.

2.      Check to see if my dizziness isn't related to migraines.

3.      Maybe I have an inner ear infection or sinus infection since my
allergies are so bad.  This would also go along with checking for Menieures
Disease (inner ear condition).

4.      Several responses referred to perimenopause.  Shifting of harmones can
trigger vertigo/insomnia/dizziness.  I did visit a website someone suggested
and found it extremely informational as I am 39 yrs. old and it's highly
possible I'm beginning perimenopause.  The website is:
www.howdyneighbor.com/menopaus (no "e" at the end of menopause).

5.      Accidental ingestion of gluten (I've since learned that I have been
eating a few things that were not gluten free.  Yikes!).  This goes along with
difficulty in concentration, thinking straight, keeping tack of things and so
on.

6.      Check the chemical reaction between Allegra-D and Trazadone.  Well,
when calling 2 different pharmacists, I was given many "suggestions" and/or
"options" that could be causing my dizziness.  Both indicated that there was no
ingredients that "jumped" out at them and taking them both should be no
problem.  Many of the responders to my e-mail have had similar symptoms and are
not able to take both medications.  With dizziness, there may be other factors
such as anemia, sinus infection, blood pressure problems, and many other
causes.  My attitude now is I'd rather learn from the celiac population who've
been there, done that, etc., as opposed to relying on what the pharmacist or
doctor say all the time.  This is why this is a good group forum.

7.      It was also suggested by several that I try a natural product for my
allergies/insomnia.  A responder suggested I try Melaleuca products.  They have
a wide variety of products and in fact, I visited their website, sent off an
e-mail to them regarding gluten free status and received a call from their
Product Marketing group indicating that they will send me a complete product
listing with all their ingredients.  Their vitamins are great detoxifiers and
have a patented fructose compounding formula and the nutrients are readily
available to the body even before reaching the digestive system, easier
absorption.  Their website is www.melaleuca.com.  Check it out.

8.      Another suggestion was that I could be getting some chemical exposure
in my home.  A member has a website of hazards of everyday household products.
The website is www.myfreeoffice.com/cleansafe/index.html.  Interestingly enough,
I took one of the toxicity self-tests and was amazed at my score.  If your
score was over 50 it highly suggests removing toxic products from your home.  I
scored a 56!

9.      One responder made a possible suggestion that it is called Specific
Learning Disability.  This is where the brain interpreting visual memories
can't go fast enough to keep up with incoming data.  Examples would be if you
are shopping in a new place, large store, large open places, or feeling like
you are looking through a tunnel.

10.     Try using antacids.

11.     Stress can be a trigger.

I apologize for this being so long, but as I mentioned, I was amazed that so
many people responded.  It gave me a sense of not going crazy, that there has
to be a reason and I will continue to investigate this until I'm satisfied.
Dizziness is not a pleasant feeling, scary at times, and  is truly
uncomfortable.

Thanks again everyone!  For those of you who are experiencing dizziness, hope
some of this information helps you on your path to discovery.

Sondra