From:
Marina Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 17:50:10 -0400

Hi Listers,

        Below are responses I received in my quest for a 'quick' version of
stuffing. Thank you, one and all, for answering me. I can't wait to have
some stuffing for a change!! Hope others can enjoy as well.

Marina

 1) I don't have a recipe, however we eat yams and occasionally sweet
 potatoes. Extra helpings of veggies or two or three veggies and rice and
 beans with Bragg's. I would suggest Braggs on the rice or brown rice and
 basmati rice mixed before cooking 2:1 brown to basmati cooked with a
 couple of Tablespoons of gf onion soup mix.
 Sauté onions and peppers and add to rice after cooking along with the
 seasonings of your choice.  Experiment and have fun.

 2) You can make a dressing using quinoa, if you feel safe using it. You
 could cook it in chicken broth, and add the suitable seasonings to make
 it taste similar to the old breaded stuffings.

 3) I've kept bags of frozen left-over stuffing in the freezer to use
 when I want to punch up a meal. I freeze 1/2 cup portions in ziplock
 bags.  When I want to have stuffing with my dinner (or lunch), I either
 defrost it (in the refridgerator) the night before, or pop it frozen,
 into the microwave for about 7-8 minutes on med-high.

 4) First off, the only advance preparation you need is dried bread
 chunks and chunks of cornbread in the freezer. When you want to make
 dressing, saute diced onions and celery in a little margarine until
 soft. To the thawed bread cubes add desired amount of spices: parsley,
 sage/poultry seasoning, oregano, thyme, etc. and toss well. Add the
 sauteed veggies and toss again. Slowly add chicken stock (simply made
 with Herb-Ox bouillion cube and water) until mixture is moist but not
 sloppy. Dump in prepared pan, being careful not to pack it down (just
 smooth it over), and bake for 20 - 30 minutes or so. It is very simple.
 If you have prepared turkey slices or chicken breasts to serve with it,
 add them on top of the dressing and cover with foil while cooking.

 5) try using cornbread or stale muffins.  They work just fine.

 6) If you make cornbread for him (I got my recipe from this list, but
 you can substitute rice flour) then use some of the leftovers to make
 this stuffing:

 Saute:  1 med. Onion and 3/4 stalks celery in 1/4 to 1/2 c. butter
 Chop:  1/2 to 1 whole apple (cored and peeled)
 Cube:   Corn bread (1 pan)
 Heat:   About 1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken stock (gf)

 Combine above ingredients and add some sage and salt.  If you put it in
 the oven and heat it for about 1/2 hour  at around 350, the apple will
 cook, and just give off flavor without the crunch. You could delete the
 apple, but it seems to be a good combo with the cornbread.  And, you
 could add other veggies.

 7) I keep two running collections of crumbs, bits, and pieces:  One is
 of sweet things:  cookie crumbs, cake crumbs, bit of broken muffin,
 etc.,that I use to crumble over desserts or to make "graham cracker"
 type pie crusts.  The other is of salty (i.e., non-sweet) things:  all
 crumbs of bread I bake or buy, rice crackers, the odd tiny remnants of
 things that can add up to quite a nice quantity when combined.  These I
 use to make stuffings.

 Recently I made a kind of near-Eastern baked rice custard:  Cook up a
 big batch of your favorite rice, then mix it with an egg and some yogurt
 (I used soy yogurt substitute) and spices to your taste, then bake it
 until it becomes nice and crusty.  Slice it into portions like a cake,
 wrap each individually in foil and freeze.  These become instant
 stuffings, they go into stir fries and make an instant rice
 accompaniment that taste terrific and doesn't require endless cooking
 right then...

 I got the idea from a great cookbook that others on the list have
 mentioned:  Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven.  It is called spinach-rice
 custard in her book.  You could do it with the rice in two layers,
 between which you put chopped wilted spinach that has been spiced
 accordingly to your wishes.

 8) If you are tired of rice and potatoes on a celiac diet, try polenta.
 I make it in the microwave oven and serve it just like mashed potatoes
 or rice.  It's nice if there's a sauce to spoon over it.  You may also
 want to try out some of the g-f noodles avaialble.  I like the Tinkyada
 brand rice noodles and make spaghetti or mac and cheese.

 9) I had posted this in November. I have always frozen the left overs
 and it is good reheated, especially if you have gravy to go
 with it.
    Here is a recipe that might useful to some of you this year. Here is
 the southern style dressing I have been eating all my life, only the
 bread will be GF.GLUTEN FREE BARFIELD CORNBREAD DRESSING

 1 large (9x13) pan cornbread
 4-5 toasted pieces GF bread
 2 cups chopped green onion
 2 cups chopped celery
 ˝ -1 Tsp salt (to taste) and pepper (opt.)
 2 TAB (or more) GF poultry seasoning
 4 eggs
 1 cup chopped giblets from turkey broth you are making for gravy
 4-6 cups turkey broth, or canned GF chicken broth

 Crumble breads in large bowl.  Saute onion and celery and mix in.  Add
 cups broth and let soak.  Begin to season and taste.  (My mother adds 1
 teaspoon sugar.)  continue to add other ingredients until pretty mushy.
 Beat eggs, stir in  and bake 30-45 minutes at 350 degrees, until set but
 not too dry.
 Serve alongside the turkey with GF gravy.  Just use cornstarch instead
 of flour for the gravy.