From:
Nancy Garniez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 12:15:53 -0500

and exercise, and possible digestive effects:
I received a total of 9 replies, some of which were requests to be sent
the replies I received.  To those people I am forwarding the replies I
received as they might wish to contact the individuals, as I will.  I
summarize here the pertinent suggestions.  Thanks to everyone who
replied.

1. Tho not involving breast cancer, one person had numerous operations
for cancer. Advised exercise only when you feel up to it. Radiation may
or may not induce fatigue.  Arm exercises are to be continued daily
so as not to get a frozen shoulder.  As for nourishment, continue g/f
diet as usual. Be aware that certain painkillers upset and irritate the
stomach.  Never take meds on an empty stomach.

2. One had a nurse friend who is still wiped out from breast cancer
surgery, chemo & radiation last year.  She says it is an ind. thing and
that you work at your own pace.  Suggest that you take it one step at a
time and see what YOU can do and work from there. Suggests excellent
support groups both in the hospitals and on the web.

3. One had 26 radiation treatments over a two month period.  The
decision to take radiation was very difficult since she had had a
lumpectomy for DCIS, and the statistics show that when caught early,
that form of cancer is very unlikely to recur.  However she decided to
undergo radiation treatments in hopes of catching any spillover cells.
She continued to play tennis twice a week during the early parts of the
treatments, and resumed fairly soon at the end.  She did experience
tiredness but it may have been more a question of a two-hour daily drive
for the therapy plus the fact that she had been anemic for a long period
of time before the cancer diagnosis. (CD was diagnosed only
subsequently.)
    Damage to the skin can be a problem, but Benefine cream is a fairly
new product for this. Recommends PRESCRIPTION FOR NUTRITIONAL HEALING,
Balch and Balch, Avery Publishing for dietary advice and vitamin
supplements specifically for breast cancer.
    She would be interested in knowing if there is reason to suspect a
connection between celiac condition and breast cancer.

4.  One person treated breast cancer as a trainee hospital physicist in
Denmark and offered to give further information and to answer questions.
"Don't worry about silly questions.  Your very best chance for recovery
comes from feeling content with the treatment, looking forward and
having a really positive outlook.  There's nothing like asking anything
and everything beforehand so  feel free...."

David J Walland
University of Bristol Radiation Protection Adviser

5. One had a lumpectomy in Dec. '88, and began radiation therapy in Jan.
89.  Took tamoxifen for 7 years and is now taking Evista.
"I had never heard of Celiac at that time, and never showed any
characteristics of it.  During the radiation, the only sign of CD was the
many (and not painful) bowel movements.  Still, when I asked about it,
everyone thought it was nerves from the radiation and told me it had
nothing to do with the radiation.  It's only been four years since I was
diagnosed (by blood test) as CD, but I believe it appeared because of the
stress of the breast cancer diagnosis and the radiation.

....I was determined to continue working during the radiation, though
one of the doctors told me I would be incapacited and wouldn't be able
to.

I did not miss one day of work.  I didn't feel the effects of the radiation
(as if someone pumped lead into your veins) until near the end of the
second week and I treated myself with dark chocolate, and ate raisins.
It's hard to have a big appetite because your energy level is low, so I ate
the things I love. No digestive problems during or after.  Eat a
lot of beta carotene -- a young man being radiated for Hodgkins told me
his surgeon had told him to take it -- and foods high in iron,
particularly vegetables.

Do stretches, Yoga type exercises, but conserve  energy."
She got a bad burn but that was a long time ago and had to be careful about
bathing (so the idea of swimming is surprising) and no soap or anything
but Vitamin C cream could touch the area.  When she finished the
radiation energy was restored quickly and there have been no lasting ill
effects.

6. One suggested posing the question on a breast cancer group. " I
moderate a web-based support page for Mediconsult.com.  Go to
www.mediconsult.com/breast and click on "Support Group" under
"Community" on the left-hand bar.  There are many other groups on the
net as well."

Note: I did this, and tried to follow through with information about
celiac disease, which is not included in the conditions covered by this
website.
7. This was a posting that prompted my original post:  I include it in
the summary as I think it may apply:
In Feb 98, CD was diagnosed at the same time as prostate cancer. One
biopsy (cancer) was all I could handle at the time. A strict GF diet
yielded fantastic results.

For 7 to 8 years prior to going GF, I lived with tagamet, tums,
rolaids, heartburn, acid reflux, etc.  The symptoms were so bad and my
health became so bad I took early retirement in '93.  In '97 I changed
health plans and my new doctor addressed the issues professionally and
ethically.  I am sure that many of you have also had the joy of HMO's
that don't believe in and, therefore, do not treat certain diseases.

In July and August, I underwent radiation treatment for the cancer on a
daily basis except for weekends.  I had the 3d conformal radiation
procedure.

Now to my problem.  In November, foods that had been safe were causing
heartburn.  Although the intensity of the heartburn is not what it used
to be, I have had to return to the use of Tums to relieve the
discomfort.  No matter what I eat, I get heartburn.  My doctor is at a
loss as to what the problem is.  I am going to consult with a
nutritionist, but I am not holding my breath for the results.

I would appreciate any advice any of you might have for me.  I do not
want to got back to the pre-GF conditions of discomfort.  Since
February, I have eliminated all beef from my diet and eat very little
chicken and fish.  I eat veggies and rice, cottage cheese and fruit, and
treat myself to an occasional Hershey candy bar!