From:
Mike Binkowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:08:50 -0600

Thanks to everyone that responded to my question.  I received over 40
emails.  Many of them suggested that it might be lactose intollerance
associated w/Celiac; I failed to mention that our son has been lactose free
for about 6 mos (5 months prior to going GF).    Since posting the
question, Erik has shown slight improvements, although there still not
consistently good.  The bottom line on how long it takes is -- it depends,
everybodies body is diffeerent.

Some other replies included:
1.  Suggested removing milk from diet - Lactose intollerance often occurs
along w/Celiac (we already did this prior to going GF).
2.  Check for other allergies such as soy, corn, eggs, citrus, even
potatoes.  These are often found along w/Celiac.
3.  Make sure your carefull about contamination and hidden glutens when
starting the GF Diet.
     You might want to write to :
       CSA/USA -- PO Box 31700 -- Omaha, NE 68131-0700 for information and a
diet guide.  They have a book that you can take to the supermarket and buy
gluten free off the shelf.  The book is:  Cooperative Gluten-Free
CommericProducts Listing #3 and it costs $8.  The address is to the CSA/USA
above.  (We already have this manual)
4.  Make sure children don't 'sneak' food at night (two parents discovered
their children doing this).
5.  Recieved a variety of responses regarding whether or not symptoms
improved or got worse after going GF.
      -  Many saw immediate improvement
      -  Many didn't see improvements for anywhere from a few weeks to
several months or even a year
      -  Bottom line:  Everybody is different and the amount of time to
improve varies from person to person; but it does get better.
6.  A few did see their symptoms actually get worse before they got better.

Also, thanks to everyone (espeacially parents of Celiacs) with your tips
for handling issues in raising a child w/celiac.  We found some great
resources to chat with and exchange ideas.

Our other son is only 10 months old - too early to determine if he has
celiac.