From:
Wendy Waller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 13:18:11 +1300

Hi,

For those NZ members of the list I'd just like to advise that the St
Martins New World in Christchurch are now stocking  cakes from "Nut Corner
Home Bakery". Some of their products are wheat and gluten free. These can
be found in the organic section of the supermarket by the breads. If not
there you can order them through the supermarket.

A young chap - Michael is in charge of this area and will order whatever
gluten free products you require. I'm trying to educate him on celiac
disease as he'd never heard of it. But is extremely helpful and willing to
go out of his way to help.

The bakery supplying the supermarket, currently makes a sultan and walnut
cake as well as a banana and white chocolate cake. Both of them are real
yummy. They come in three sizes; 200g, 500g and 1kg. Normally the
supermarket only stocks the 200g. But I've just ordered several 500g cakes
for my mother and I. These are their current stock items but they do make
other gluten free stuff and list it on their newsletters. Michael has
copies of these. I have also recently tried a lemon flavoured rice biscuit
from them. Which was also lovely.

Ingredients to the ginger cake are -
- certified organic wheat free flours; rice flour and soya flour
- golden syrup
- fresh milk
- certified organic raw sugar
- butter
- certified organic eggs
- sultanas
- sprayfree walnuts
- fresh ginger and spices
- wheatfree baking powder.

So not only wheat and gluten free but also organic. Its got to be good for
us. :)

I understand the bakery will deliver direct to individuals with a courier
charge. But I haven't tried this yet.

The address is -

Nut Corner Home Bakery
Food for life
Nelson's finest Secret
Andreas Vitz adnd Julja Vogt
56 Green Street
Nelson
ph/fax    03  546 4501

It cost me about $5.50 for a 500g cake.

I have no financial or other involvement with the firm. But its wonderful
being able to purchase gluten free cakes and I'd love to see them expand
this business.

Regards Wendy