From:
Jennifer George <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 1998 22:22:22 PDT

Hi Listmembers,

Thank you so much for all the information and advice you gave me. It's
good to know that it is not all in my head.  I'll summarize the

*Several persons said that they also had reactions to eating bacon and
other cured meats.

*Several persons suggested that I might be sensitive to the nitrates and
nitrites used in the curing process. Canadian bacon was suggested,
because it might have fewer curing agents.

*Some brands of bacon and other processed meats may have gluten in the
flavoring agents. It was suggested that I look for a brand of bacon or
sausage that has "minimally processed" on the label, and also find one
that has no additives except maybe salt. Imported Italian prosciutto
ham, pancetta bacon and some others are gf and made without any chemical
additives.

*Russer Foods products in Buffalo are gf. I have the address and phone #
if anyone wants them.

*Bacon with added flavorings may contain gluten - for example maple
flavoring. For one person who is also sensitive to sugar, a
lower-sodium, sugar-free brand works. Jones frozen sausages are gf, but
spices may cause sensitivity. It was suggested that almost anything at
the deli counter is susceptible to cross-contamination on the slicer
etc.

*Sometimes bacon is cured with soy sauce, which contains wheat.

*The following products are gf:
Mr. Turkey turkey bacon (it is also free of MSG); Oscar Meyer regular
bologna, bologna light, bacon, beef balogna, beef franks and
braunschweiger; Hillshire Farms smoked sausage and bratwurst; Ballpark
franks (regular); Healthy Choice; Hormel bacon; Maple Leaf Foods; Maple
Lodge; all Bar-S products; Silver Star; Russer low salt ham; Sara Lee
deli honey ham; Louis Rich.

AVOID Farmer Johns. This has gluten in it.

*I also got a URL which contains information on gf food.  It is:
     http://www.hwcn.org/~am761/

*It was suggested that I get the Commercial Products Listing from the
CSA/USA. The address was sent to me.  I also received a list of Gluten
Free Foods/Products. I'll be happy to forward both sets of information
to anyone who wants them.

Thanks again.

Jennifer
Syracuse